Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Felons banned from bowhunting? >

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Felons banned from bowhunting?

So I guess people don't deserve second chances?

I'd rather them be in the woods huntingthan out on the street selling crack to my friends, stealing cars, breaking into houses, or killing/raping/etc.etc.

At least if they're hunting you could get the idea that they have, or are trying, to turn their lives around.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

So I guess people don't deserve second chances?

I'd rather them be in the woods huntingthan out on the street selling crack to my friends, stealing cars, breaking into houses, or killing/raping/etc.etc.

At least if they're hunting you could get the idea that they have, or are trying, to turn their lives around.
Well put!!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was originally going to just stay out of this one.

But come on people. We at this forum do not walk a mile in every man or womans shoes. To think that it is just so black and white is absurd. Many many good people get "screwed" by the system. And for every good natured law.. I can tell you of 10 others that are completely ridiculous and out of line.

Don't be so quick to judge a person that you do not know. People can fall quickly to the system. Money talks in this world and if you don't have it.. you can be convicted very easily with a felony. That's the plain truth.

Now.. by no means does this mean we should just give everyone a second chance. But for the most part.. most people live in the real world.. and in it sh*t happens. But don't pass judgement on this fact.. judge it on the handshake he or she gives.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I am 46 years old. during my misspent youth, over 20 years ago, I committed a felonious assault. I was convicted, and went to prison. I spent 3 years and 3 months behind bars. I am not the same person today that I was 24 years ago. I don't want anyone's sympathy. If I have to pay for the rest of my life,( and I will), so be it. I made choices back then that have consequences. I can live with them.
If that means there are states that will not allow me to bowhunt, fine, I'll take my bow elsewhere. If someday I'm not allowed to hunt at all I will be brokenhearted. However, again, these are consequences of my choices and actions.
Here in Tx state law allows me to hunt with a primitive muzzleloader as well as a bow. I know, I know, federal law differs and that is a whole 'nother can of worms I don't care to debate right now.
Taking a bow out of the hands of a convicted felon is meaningless in detering future crime. If someone wants to commit an assault or robbery they can do it with a bat or a pipe. They don't need a bow to do it.
No one but me assaulted that man all those years ago. I got what I deserved. Prison was the right sentence. Its where I belonged. Today I am a respected, responsible member of society. I am a father and husband. I am an ethical and responsible hunter. I am in a leadership position in my place of employment. None of that changes the past.
Some of you may lose respect for for me knowing what you now know about me. That is OK, I will still have my self respect.
I have seen you talk about this time in your life before Greg. And this is a prime example of why we just cannot have one set of rules for all crimes. It just doesn't work. I have respect for you coming here and telling your story, and have no problem calling you a friend.

On the other hand there are people that have never been convicted of a crime, that scare the hell out of me.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have a personal stake in this post, my brother in law is in jail right now. He has been my hunting buddy ever since I have known him. I am hoping that when he gets out he can hunt in the state that we live in at the time. I am hoping at least he can use a bow.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Complicated, complicated issue. And I will admit to having mixed feelings on the issue.

But I think the answer (as to whether or not felons should be banned from bowhunting) depends on the justification for the ban. In other words, what does the ban allegedly achieve? Does it really deter would-be felons, therefore preventing crime? Does it really make society more safe?If the banprovides some tangible benefit, then I support the idea.

If theban doesn't accomplish anything and is simply imposed asan additional form of punishment...thenI would be less likelyto support it. But again, I feel the bottom-line is that the ban is not passed-out at random. By committing a crime, an individual has 'earned' the punishment associated with that crime. All of the punishment. The fine, the time, the loss of the right to vote, purchase a firearm and whatever else comes with it.

Are there some caseswhen we really feel sympathetic to the criminal?Of course. Are there someformer criminals thatdeserve to have their rights restored? Of course. ButI think those folks are the exception, not the rule.Maybe for everyperson that deserves to have their rights restored, there might be hundreds, that don't deserve it.

Finally,thanks to the folks on here that have shared their stories.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of you fellon backing individules please explain, how is my uncle beating the hell out of his wife different than someone getting in a bar fight or some one robbing a store? Or even some one killing some one while driving under the influence. A fellony is a fellony peroid. I am sorry, you were inocent untill proven guilty. My X cheated on me ten years ago should that be OK and forgiven now? Hell NO!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'm gonna continue to judge people on their own merit as I know em. Not what you, a judge, or somebody else tells me what they think. (especially those of you judging people you never met or know NOTHING about. How many of these same folks call themselves Christians I wonder???)

Now a days the kid who took a plastic knife to school to cut his deer steak at lunch is a "violent criminal"... No thanks, I like my system...

we can always look at our penal system as well... it is NOT based on rehabilitation. We jail more folks per capita than any other developed nation. Hmm...
Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

One of you fellon backing individules please explain, how is my uncle beating the hell out of his wife different than someone getting in a bar fight or some one robbing a store? Or even some one killing some one while driving under the influence. A fellony is a fellony peroid. I am sorry, you were inocent untill proven guilty. My X cheated on me ten years ago should that be OK and forgiven now? Hell NO!
Its not any different. A felony conviction is a felony conviction. I'll carry mine for life and deal with the consequences for life. It really isn't that big a deal to me anymore. It was 24 years ago. I've gotten over it..
Old 01-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

A fellony is a fellony peroid.
That's absolutely true....but ludicrous at the same time.

That's as generalized as saying Janet Reno and Jenny McCarthy are both "women".

I know a guy......Good husband (married 40+ years)......Great dad.......people love him. He was thrust into a business that he wasn't prepared to handle. He was convicted of federal tax evasion because he didn't know how to keep his books....and was too scared and intimidated to get help. He jus tthought it would go away. It didn't.

He has a felony record. He's one of the most gentle big men I know. He just isn't a very good businessman. He didnt declare bankruptcy.....and he repaid the debt in full.

And you think he shouldn't be able to bowhunt (not that he wants to....but his situation is likely not unique).

All felonies are NOT violent crimes. All felons are not violent.....even those who have committed violent crimes.

Quick Reply: Felons banned from bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.