Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Felons banned from bowhunting? >

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Felons banned from bowhunting?

Felons can't own firearms in this country, but now some states ban them from hunting altogether. I urge you to write to these states and urge them to allow felons to be able to bowhunt, especially for non-violent, non-weapon related felonies.

Utah - felons can't bowhunt period.
Nebraska - believe felons can't bowhunt here either.

If you're aware of other states that ban felons from bowhunting, please submit which states those are.

So what are your thoughts? Are you worried about a felon with a bow in the woods?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Felons banned from bowhunting?

To me this falls under "cruel and unusual punishment" and should not be tolerated....

Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

To many variables???? What's the crime????? What's that old saying..... o' yeah...... Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!!....
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think someone suffering the consequences of theirfelonious conduct rises to the level of compassion needed for me to write letters. It's not a disease. Not an injury. Not a disability. It's a matter of a choice, or string of choicesthey made, and they knew they were doing wrong when theydid it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Or suffer the long term loss of social rights and priviledges.

They can go play golf with their lawyers instead!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

They did the crime, they can do the time!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

To many variables???? What's the crime????? What's that old saying..... o' yeah...... Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!!....

While I might tend to agree to some extent, keep this in mind....
Have you ever been involved in a fight??? Have you ever WON a fight??? Have you ever LOST a fight??? Any way you cut it, depending on the lawyer you get, judge you get, etc, a guy who may have defended himself somewhere along the line by fighting back or fighting due to whatever the cause, may potentially be charged with "FELONious assault," and be stripped of his huntin priveleges. As a guy who's been there done that, fortunately not gotten any charge, not even a misdemeanor disorderly, even though I was separated from the other guy, who smacked me with a car door pulling into a parking spot, I know what the potentials are. 19 and dating a 16 year old???? Depending on the state and the desires, a guy/gal may be charged with "Statutory rape!!!!"

I think that if we were to punish criminals appropriately, and let a little common sense rule, some of these would be "NULL" issues altogether!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

While I might tend to agree to some extent, keep this in mind....
Have you ever been involved in a fight??? Have you ever WON a fight??? Have you ever LOST a fight??? Any way you cut it, depending on the lawyer you get, judge you get, etc, a guy who may have defended himself somewhere along the line by fighting back or fighting due to whatever the cause, may potentially be charged with "FELONious assault," and be stripped of his huntin priveleges. As a guy who's been there done that, fortunately not gotten any charge, not even a misdemeanor disorderly, even though I was separated from the other guy, who smacked me with a car door pulling into a parking spot, I know what the potentials are. 19 and dating a 16 year old???? Depending on the state and the desires, a guy/gal may be charged with "Statutory rape!!!!"

I think that if we were to punish criminals appropriately, and let a little common sense rule, some of these would be "NULL" issues altogether!!!
My point exactly, or in another words. Not the career criminal.....armed robber etc...the 1 time, learned his lesson, may have not known the extent/seriousness of his/her actions. And now can't own a firearm, and now in some states even bowhunt!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok where you going to draw the line?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Ok where you going to draw the line?
Where? Firearms seemed far enough. Let's allow everyone to bowhunt.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 AM

Aren't bows considered firearms??

I know around here (NY) they are. A friend's brother got a couple DWI's and he had to give all his guns and bow to his brother for awhile.

They also consider a bow under discharging a firearm within city/town/village limits. BB guns as well. If you shoot your neighbor while plinking cans with a BB gun you are in big trouble.

Quick Reply: Felons banned from bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.