Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do? >

Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Given, mobo

I'm not so sure this is correct thinking.......though I could be wrong...

The #2 or#3 guy might not be able to fight worth spit,
I'm not so sure it has anything to do with wheter "Mr. Big" is "around" , or not. Do the subordinant bucks attempt breeding when he's not in eyesight/olfactory range (in a perfectly natural environment)? Has the dominant buck not marked his territory .....in essence "daring" subordinates to breed?

Good discussion....and I admit I don't know.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice civil debate, I sent a few emails out.

1 DNr Buddy
1 N_W_T_F

will post here when I get some answers
Old 08-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Hell I'm not even debating!!

I'm trying to learn something.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

From a Biologist, Emailed N-W-T-Fyesterday. I am a memeber and this is a fine organzation. Top notch IMO

They help me a lot 6 years ago get Turkeys on our farm. We now have a hunting population with some nice birds.

Gary,[/align][/align]As with deer, there are about equal numbers of males and females at birth (hatching) with turkeys. Unlike the situation with deer in most places, though, there are still plenty of predators that help regulate turkey populations. Hens are especially vulnerable to predation during the nesting period, because they stay on the ground overnight all through the 28 days of incubation. Nationwide, hen mortality averages about 40 percent, with most occurring during nesting. On the whole, relatively few adult gobblers die as a result of predation; hunting accounts for most gobbler mortality. Research has shown that gobbler mortality due to hunting averages about 40 percent in many states, resulting in about equal mortality for hens and gobblers, more or less the 1:1 ratio that many deer managers strive for. So to sum things up, hen mortality due to predation and gobbler mortality due to hunting keep many turkey populations at approximately 1:1 without thespecial management strategiesthat are oftenrecommended for deer herds.[/align][/align]
Tom Hughes
NWTF Senior Wildlife Biologist
803-637-3106
[email protected]
[/align]
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

that makes sense
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

So my popcorn is running out..what's the new concensus?????
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Wow! I come back a day or two later to see if i get any responses and I have 8 pages of stuff to read!!! Maybe I'll just email this link to my uncle so he can see why his theories aren't right. Thanks guys!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Lets take a look at Pennsylvania. Back when I started hunting in the late 80's, it was nothing to see a herd of 30 deer running in a pack. Out of them a basket rack 5-6 point was considered a great buck. The weight on these deer would have been 125 lbs was a great sized deer. Now lets look at PA deer at present day after the anter restriction was put into place. A 5-6 point buck isn't even looked at twice by most vetern hunters, doe are now weighing 125 lbs and buck are hitting 160 or higher. You may only see 5 to 10 deer a day, but the quality of the deer are great!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

I havent read all the posts but Ill throw in my 2 cents...Why does male only harvest work for turkeys but not for deer? In both species the males fight for dominance and extablish a pecking order. the males also mate with multiple females. Why does it work so well for one species and not the other?

(And dont try to throw in the argument about fall turkey season.The few hens harvested then does not even compare to the number of males taken in the spring)
Only thing I can think of is turkeys have far more natural predators than whitetails.
I believe it has something to do with, deer pair up in the breeding season (this is whyyourdominant buck will not do all the breeding ofall the does in your area and subordinate buckswill be able to do some breeding as well)while in turkeys the dominate tom usually mates most of the turkeys (they dont pair off)(that’s why in the spring it’s only males).
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

My friend believes the same as your uncle.He just don't understand why he can have 20 does in the field every night,but once the rut comes in he never sees any good bucks chasing them.He has so many does the maturebucks don't need to chase and hunt for a receptive does.The does seek them instead.