Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Golden Key Deadhead Reaper >

Golden Key Deadhead Reaper

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Golden Key Deadhead Reaper

Old 09-12-2002, 05:23 PM

Default Golden Key Deadhead Reaper

Golden Key Deadhead Reaper Screw In 3 Blade Expandable Broadhead:

Construction: Replaceable Steel Pyramid Point, Stainless Steel Blades, and Aluminum Ferrule.

Weight: 100 grains
Blades: .027 Stainless Steel
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/2"
Heads Per Package: 3
Cost: $23.99 (http://advantagearchery.com)
Head Type: Screw In Expandable

Overview:
This is the real deal if you want a devastating turkey thumping broadhead. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it on deer either! It shoots just like a field tip and had super sharp blades. I like the fact that Golden Key gives you plenty of extra rubber bands! This is a good broadhead and is well designed. I would not recommend using it on deer if you have less than 55 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy (KE). On turkeys it just doesn’t matter, this thing will kill them no matter what you shoot.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durability: 9 - I had no problems with this head. The blades are plenty thick enough (.027) and I did not break any blades but they will bend. I had no problems with the ferrule bending but a good whack on something super hard could do the job. I see no reason why this head would not provide great performance on deer too; I looked at it for my fall turkey hunts. Just remember that anytime you start getting larger cutting diameter heads you need more kinetic energy for deer sized game and bigger.

Quality: 10 - I liked the way this head was machined and everything fit together good. I had no complaints at all with this Broadhead. I also found the packaging to be very attractive and good. This is a plus for any dealers looking for a good product to sell, if you are look at this line of broadheads!

Flight: 10 - I had excellent arrow flight from 20-50 yards. My arrows grouped very tight and I had no problems getting them to shoot well. Once again it is very important to make sure your bow and arrow are tuned. If not you may have problems getting your arrows to fly good which isn't the broadheads fault. These shoot just like my field tips but you may want to check since they will change your FOC a bit from a field tip.

Price: 9 – They fall within the same price range as all other expandable heads do. They are cheaper than the spitfires and better quality. I found they open faster than the Spitfire and my tips did not come loose like some of my old spitfires did. I still kind of wish expendables would cost less money than they do but hey that’s the industry standard so I won’t hold that against this head just like I said with the Demon. It’s more of a protest against the industry!

Total Score: 9.5

Final Comment:
I really liked the flight of this broadhead. I had no problems getting it to shoot well, watch out turkeys here I come! I would use this head for deer, coyotes, and turkeys and wouldn't think twice about it. It shot great and held up well and is a well thought out product. This is my current 2nd choice in broadheads right behind the Demon. This is my 1st and only choice for turkeys and coyotes. I think it would also work well on black bear over bait since most shots are close and 55lbs of KE (more is always better!) should do a nice job at that close of a distance. I would imagine it would open a wicked hole due to the 1-1/2” cutting diameter. If you are one of those people out there who shoot 65lbs of KE or more I think the name Reaper sums up what this head can do!
Old 09-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Golden Key Deadhead Reaper

I have been very pleased with the GK line-up of b-heads. I picked up packages of Deadhead 100s, Reapers, and Demons and without a doubt these heads are all outstanding. They all fly extremely well and can be stacked into the same shot grouping. I can't wait to get 'em into the woods. The opener is just right around the corner (Oct.1). I think I want to try putting a Reaper thru a big early season doe to start off and then we'll just take it from there. I know the Reapers are going to be my Gobbler getters in the spring and hopefully this fall if I can get a shot at one. The DH 100s will be used when shooting thru the netting inside my DB blind and I need blades that cut NOW!!! It should be an interesting season???