Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What about Deadhead broadheads??? >

What about Deadhead broadheads???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What about Deadhead broadheads???

Old 06-24-2003, 01:45 PM

Default What about Deadhead broadheads???

They any good??
Old 06-25-2003, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What about Deadhead broadheads???

Golden key deadhead 100 and 125 grain

Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 4 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 3 points
Accuracy 4 points
Blades 3 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score: 25 with a blade sharpness rating of C

I tested both the 100 and 125grain heads side by side. The scores and performance are identical, which is almost always the case. That’s why I generally don’t post separate reports for the different head weights. I did however think this was a good time for a reminder.
The Deadheads proved to be very accurate, grouping with my field points out to all ranges. One thing to note, the deadheads are unique in that they have 6 slots to place the blades in, 3 each for left or right helical. I used the right helical slots as I use right helical fletching. I am not sure what would happen if you used the “wrong” slots for your fletching setup. That is something I will explore later on.
In the plywood the heads penetrated very well, going all the way through, with 6” of shaft. In the tire penetration was good again, going through the first side, with 6” of shaft. In the steel drum both heads penetrated the first side without damage. The 100 grain head did penetrate the back wall with the tip and ¼” of blade. It however did not “stick” but fell out of the hole. The 125grain head penetrate the same amount, maybe a bit more, and it did “stick” in the back wall. I repeated the steel drum tests 2 more times with the same results, just to make sure. Both the 100 and 125 heads proved to be durable and accurate. The only damage was to the tips of each head. The very tip of each did flatten out some, but nothing a little work with a file wouldn’t fix. The only real complaint I would have with the deadheads is the Blade sharpness. I found that they would shave just a little hair, but I really had to work at it. I would compare the blade sharpness to that of the Rocket line of mechanical heads. The blades will “grab” on your fingernails, but don’t really shave hair. You can however touch up the blades to get them sharp, and the deadhead offer a feature no other head does, it gives you the option of matching your blades to your fletching. I am not sure how much of an advantage that feature is, but is sure doesn’t seem to hurt.

Old 06-25-2003, 05:51 AM

Man they are some good heads to hunt with. Some of our guys use them and love them. I am personally shooting GKF expandables or I would be shooting the deadhead if I had to go back to a fixed blade. Like was stated above the ability to change helical is like no other broadhead and for accuracy you can' t beat them.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve been messing around with the deadhead six bladed head a little bit. They seem to shoot pretty well. One thing that I found that contradicts 5-shots report is the blade sharpness. I have found in the dozen heads that I have bought (Dec 02) that the blades were very sharp. I can' t explain why. I have not used them hunting yet, and don' t know if I will this year. Currently my bow is tuned for 150 grain Magnus four bladed heads with a 38 grain adapter. I hate to change the setup now, but I might.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

GKF tech told me that after my report came out they improved the sharpness of the heads. As far as I am concerned that was the only flaw to an otherwise outstanding head. I am glad to see they did that, although I can' t personaly verify the fact, I have heard from more than one person they the blades are now sharp.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

That could be the reason (blade sharpness) 5-shot, I ordered the heads directly from Golden Key, so I know they were not sitting on someones shelf long.