Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Golden key  Deadhead broadhead test results >

Golden key Deadhead broadhead test results

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Golden key Deadhead broadhead test results

Old 07-27-2002, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Golden key Deadhead broadhead test results

Golden key deadhead 100 and 125 grain

Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 4 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 3 points
Accuracy 4 points
Blades 3 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score: 25 with a blade sharpness rating of C

I tested both the 100 and 125 grain heads side by side. The scores and performance are identical, which is almost always the case. That’s why I generally don’t post separate reports for the different head weights. I did however think this was a good time for a reminder.
The Deadheads proved to be very accurate, grouping with my field points out to all ranges. One thing to note, the deadheads are unique in that they have 6 slots to place the blades in, 3 each for left or right helical. I used the Right helical slots as I use right helical fletching. I am not sure what would happen if you used the “wrong” slots for your fletching setup. That is something I will explore later on.
In the plywood the heads penetrated very well, going all the way through, with 6” of shaft. In the tire penetration was good again, going through the first side, with 6” of shaft. In the steel drum both heads penetrated the first side without damage. The 100 grain head did penetrate the back wall with the tip and ¼” of blade. It however did not “stick” but fell out of the hole. The 125 grain head penetrate the same amount, maybe a bit more, and it did “stick” in the back wall. I repeated the steel drum tests 2 more times with the same results, just to make sure. Both the 100 and 125 heads proved to be durable and accurate. The only damage was to the tips of each head. The very tip of each did flatten out some, but nothing a little work with a file wouldn’t fix. The only real complaint I would have with the deadheads is the Blade sharpness. I found that they would shave just a little hair, but I really had to work at it. I would compare the blade sharpness to that of the Rocket line of mechanical heads. The blades will “grab” on your finger nails, but don’t really shave hair. You can however touch up the blades to get them sharp, and the deadhead offer a feature no other head does, it gives you the option of matching your blades to your fletching. I am not sure how much of an advantage that feature is, but is sure doesn’t seem to hurt.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 07-27-2002, 10:21 AM

Default RE: Golden key Deadhead broadhead test results

thanks 5 shot another great review. I will say I too noticed that the blades are not as sharp as I would like but other than that the heads seem to be good boradhead.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd picked up some of the 100s to use during this up comming season and was anxious to see what your test results would yield. I can see that they,like the anything else from GK, is top shelf quality.I'll be looking forward to putting them thru some venison this fall.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the review, they sure seem like a great head. I wonder what the six bladed model would do?