Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 williams fire sight >

williams fire sight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

williams fire sight

Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default williams fire sight

I traded my gm lrh barrel to bronko and in shipping, the fiber optic in the front sight broke. I was wondering if anyone has a source for just the fiber optic? Maybe you have one laying around not in use? GM wants $15 for the whole sight, not too bad I guess. Thought I'd try here first, I want to make this right for Clem.I sent Clem an email this morning and am waiting to hear back from him, if I don't hear anything from you guys by 2:00, I'll be calling GM, I think they close at 3.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: williams fire sight

Hold up - Cory I'm going to send you and email shortly. Williams gun sight co. (supply the sights to GM) is going to send me some replacement fibers. (.060")
Lets see it this works first.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I asked the guy at Williams if he thought that heat causes problems with the sights. I told him that I always clean my MLs with hot soapy water followed by a hot water rinse (almost boiling). He said that the heating/coolingmay make the fiber brittle. This could have been the case and then being knocked around during shipping, it may have been enough to crack it. It sure was protected enough inside the package.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had problems with those sights on my GM LRH barrel too. When the barrel arrived the fiber in the front sight was malformed. The back half was normal, but the front half was a flat white filament. GM replaced it. After my second range session, the filament in the rear sight broke into three segments. I'm not impressed.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

That's some good information to know bronko. My cleaning process involves boiling water and a leather glove, I don't submerge the sights, but I'm sure they get warmed up same as the barrel. Could have contributed to the fiber cracking.