Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 loads for TC Omega >

loads for TC Omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loads for TC Omega

Old 12-16-2006, 01:29 PM

Default loads for TC Omega

Does anyone out there know the best loads that I can shoot in my Omega 50 caliber muzzleloader for the best accuracy?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: loads for TC Omega

First off.. I don't own an Omega. But those that do report that a 250 grain Shockwave and 100 grains of Triple Se7en is a good starting place. Swab the barrel before shooting, and between shots and the accuracy should be real good. Congratulation on the rifle and keep us posted how it does.

Also welcome to the forum...
Old 12-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

torboy

I shoot an Omega a ton... SS/GreyBlack Laminate...

I also have not made the big jump to the SST/Shockwave bullet bunch - I have read to many less than great experiances with this bullet @ close ranges only - but thare are a ton of people out there shooting them taht love em.

I prefer buying bulk reloading bullets and bulk sabots... this usually the least expensive route to doing a lot of shooting. I also shoot loose powder T7-2f again because it less expensive and allows a little more latitude in your powder loads. Some people are unable to shoot T7 in their Omega/Encore guns because of the "crud ring" fowling that occurs near the seated bullet. I do not have that problem so it works better than great for me.

Omega/Encores have a really tight barrel especially when they are new. This is going to require a thin sabot so I use the MMP HPH-24 and if that is a problem then go to the MMP HPH-3p-ez it should load up just fine.

Bullets - bullets are taking a heck of a jump in price in recent months... and unfortunately for me I shoot one of the more expensive bullets out there when I am hunting... I shoot .451 Noslers Partitions... 260 grain for deer and 300 grain for elk. But for shooting paper and because I am trying to develope an alternative to the Noslers - I shoot .452 Speer Gold Dots again either 250 or 300 grain they are an amazing bullet. I shoot 100 grains of powder and again in an MMP sabot.

These have been a very effective bullet for me both in accuracy and effectivly taking the animal down.

But - it is a lot of fun to expriment with all kinds of stuff and find the one you like..

Good luck & have fun....

Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Omega likes a lot of different loads but the one that gives the tightest group under awide range of conditions is the 250 Shock Wave with a MMP HPH 24 sabot[loads smooth and as easy as I am comfortable with] and 120 gr of loose RS Pyrodex. It is not uncommen on a still day to get inter locking holes @ 100yds. Lee
Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 PM

the best load i have found in mine is a 150grs. of 777 powder a mmp sabot with a 451. 240gr hp hornady bullet and a cci 209 primer. i buy the bullets and sabots in bulk that way they are cheap and when you shoot as much as me you need all the cost saving cuts you can get. now the 150 grs of 777 powder is a little more than what they say to charge with so don't try it cause i do. i have my scope set at 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards and at 250 yards it drops 12 inches with the 300 gr plated soft point it drops 15 inches. the last buck i shot at 280 yards with the 240 gr bullet had a nice pass through lung shot. i got a nice one this morning he was about 90 yards the shot hit him in the base of the neck and came out behind the shoulder and hit a maple tree knocking out a big plug. i tried a bunch of different loads and bullets this 240 gr with the big powder load really pays off for me, the 100gr powder load works great out to 100 yards but runs out of gas real quick after that. a picture of this mornings kill.