Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Loads

Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Default Omega Loads

Hello all, I am new to ML and have a TC Omega w/a thumbhole wooden stock....although after reading Statjunk's posts on accuracy am already rethinking.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for favorite loading options. Pellets/Powder 90/100/110 probably. Shockwave 250 seem to be popular, and I have a BDC-250 scope so I'd like to keep it at 250gr. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I would just like some popular options to play with so I can find my fav.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I went back 8 pages and didn't seem to find anything on Omega loads specifically.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Omega Loads

T C omega 110 gr 3f Triple 7 and a 250 shock wave does 1/2 inch groups at 50yds for me with fiber optic sight.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: MOhunting

Hello all, I am new to ML and have a TC Omega w/a thumbhole wooden stock....although after reading Statjunk's posts on accuracy am already rethinking.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for favorite loading options. Pellets/Powder 90/100/110 probably. Shockwave 250 seem to be popular, and I have a BDC-250 scope so I'd like to keep it at 250gr. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I would just like some popular options to play with so I can find my fav.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I went back 8 pages and didn't seem to find anything on Omega loads specifically.
I have an omega with the Nikon Omega bdc reticle scope. It is rated for the bdc with 3 pellets(150 gr). I only shoot 100 grains but it works well to 150 yards. then it shoots a little low naturally. I have found it to be very accurate with 100 grains and a 250 gr bullet. I shoot either the Shockwave superglide or the Scorpion pt gold. Both shoot excellent for me . I also have a Traditions bdc scope and it is as accurate as the nikon. Which scope do you have? And is your bdc based on 150 grains? It probably is. I have never had a need to shoot 150 grains personally , but 200 yards is my maximum shot and I prefer 100 or less to be honest. Very rarely do I take a shot over 100 yards. Very rarely do I ever need to.
if using loose powder you should get as much velocity from 120 grains as you would from 3 pellets anyway. Are you planning on shooting 2f or 3f or just pellets? Those are all factors. I would start looking for the right combination with 100 grains and the 250 shockwave and experiment from there.
chet

Old 10-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

For last 4 years I have used 100g of loose 777, 300g Nosler Partition, Crushed rib sabot, Winchester Primer. Very accurate, 1.5" group at 100. 3" high at 100 gives you Max Point Blank Range out to 160 yards, so i tis like shooting thru a 6" pipe form 0 to about 160 or 175. Excellent penetration, excellent expanion, excellent shoot thru, very accurate. Crud ring is only down side to this load. Loads easy, shoot accurate and kills quickly.
Chap

Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year I am going to use a 300g Barnes MZ, with 100g of Blackhorn 209, with suppied sabot andFederal primer. Here is the target that I shot this summer. Can't beat Barnes on penetration, shoot thru, expansion and accuracy, a Nosler is about equal to it. I only gotta move the scope 4 clicks right.
Chap

Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really think that my Omega just has a stock issue. Once I shimmed up the action she shot 1 3/8" at 100 yards which is excellent for a muzzleloader though there are better out there.

I'm sure yours is a shooter so don't worry too much.

Tom
Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure you'll be very please with your Omega. I love mine and plan to get the Laminated thumbole stock for it soon I hope. As far as a load for it. I would try to stay with powder instead of pellets. Triple 7 is a good powder but I would go with the new BlackHorn 209 if it's available to you. I would shoot a 250 gr. shockwave with a Harvester short black sabot,Win. 209 primers and 110 or 120 gr. of BlackHorn 209 powder.This combination has proved to be very accurate in my Omega as well as other Omegas and Triumphs. Give this a try and let me know how it works. Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Guys thanks for all your replies, and pics (great shooting). I will try it out this next week and let you know what worked out best.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

This works for me.

Stock rifle with no modifications. Just the plain old stock not a thumbhole.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

MOhunting

I shoot an Omega and really do like what it can do...

My deer hunting load is 110 grains T7-2f, MMP HPH-24 sabot and a Nosler .451/260 grain Partition. Been using this for years, but becuase of the cost of Nosler now-days my back up load is going to be the same but I will switch to a Speer Gold Dot... .452/250 grain Gold Dot... the .452/300 grain Gold Dot may actually be the better bullet.

Might check this thread...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2532497&mpage=1&key=omega&#2 532675

Good luck with your Omega...

Quick Reply: Omega Loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.