Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .45 Muzzleloader Bullets >

.45 Muzzleloader Bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 Muzzleloader Bullets

Old 10-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Default .45 Muzzleloader Bullets

I'd love to hear from those of you with more experience than I have. I've got a CVA MagBolt .45. It's a 26" barrel with 1:28" twist. I haven't tested it beyind 50 yards on targets or deer. I've killed 3 smallish (less than 90 lbs.) deer all 30-40 yards. Of course I hope to kill something bigger this year. I'm still pretty new to deer hunting.

I've only hunted with the PR Bullet QT's (240gr). They've been quick, humane kills but no pass-throughs (don't know if that's really necessary). I've shot 275gr Powerbelt Aero Tips and 200gr Hornady SST's. All had about the same accuracy at 50 yards. I doubt I'll ever need to shoot much over 100 yards in the hills and woods of Mid TN.

Let's say under 125 yards, white-tails only, what bullet do you choose for best accuracy and plenty of knock-down power? I hear great things about Hornady XTP's and SST's and Barnes Red Hots and Expanders. But is a 195-200gr bullets big enough. By that, I don't mean just enough to do the trick with the perfect shot. I want it to hit and transfer enough energy for quick if not instant knockdown with decent shot placement.

What .45 bullet do you think has the best odds of doing this? I know a poor shot want get it done with any of my options. What's the best bullet under 125 yards, without buying a .50 cal gun?

By the way, so far I've been shooting 90gr of 777 fffg.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: .45 Muzzleloader Bullets

Have you ever tried the 460 grain No Excuse Conical out of your .45 caliber? http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page2.html The .45 caliber actually has better balistics for the .45 caliber then the .50 caliber because of the length of the conical. Whether this is trueI could not say as I am not really into ballistics like some. The 460 grain pushed by 80 grains of powder would be more then enough thump out to 125 yards, and there is nothing I know of around my neck of the woods that can take a hit from one.

You should check with your rifle manufacturer to make sure it is all right to shoot some of these. CVA I think has a 400 grain limit on their conicals. And also you do not need to push the powder to these. Because of the weight, when they hit, they transfer all their energy, blow big holes and know down what they hit. I get excellent results with them out of my Black Diamond XR and in my Knight Wolverine....

just a thought. I know a few other .45 caliber rifle shooters swear by them.. I do not shoot a .45 caliber YET
Old 10-11-2005, 07:33 AM

C'mon, there's gotta' be a few other .45 cal hunters on this board.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:43 PM

I also have a CVA mag-bolt 150.I shoot the 225 powerbelt hollow points,pushed by 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets.they work great.I tried 3 of the 50 gr. pellets.they worked good , but the patterns were a little wider.with 2 the shots are tighter.
I have taken 6 deer with mine out to 145 yards,all were pass through with a blood trail that a blind man could follow.
never liked the areo tips,just me. the hollow points are great.

as for the instant knockdown, you only get that with the double shoulder hit or spine.lots of meat loss.
all the shots I have taken were rib shots (lung hits ).they only went 45 yards.

if you try the 225 hollow point , with lung shots , I think you will like them.

100 grains of pyrodex will push then out to 100 to 125 yards with no problem to take deer with.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:57 PM

Greener: I shot a nice big 8 pointer 2 years ago in PA in the regular big game season.
I did use the QT'S 45 in 350 grain 54 cal, shot was 75 yards ,the buck was hit high in the lung area : the buck did 180 turn and went up the ridge.I had the same problem no exit hole and tracking was a nightmare.I did find the 8 pointer he had only one hole were the bullet when in,turn the lungs to jelly field dress to 187 lbs.I was using 85 grains of triple 777 powder.
I had great sucess with precision silver lighting in 300 grainers ,early in the season I took a nice doe about the same yardage ,man what a difference a bullet makes .The doe took three steps and was down,A exit hole the size of a 1/2 dollar exit hole ,a blind man could follow that blood trail
I just switch bullets to a 375 grain buffalo SSB and 85 grains of goex 3f .I will see if I I use my inline this year how the bullet works
I have my flinters ready to go.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM

I have a .45 Hawken and have had good luck on deer using the T/C Maxi Hunters. They are a pre-lubed conical and I was pushing them with 110 gr. of Pyrodex RS. I also used a Wonder Wad (lubed) between the powder and the bullet. My only complaint with this load was that it printed a little higher on the first shot (clean barrel) as it did on subsequent shots. Even if I let it cool completely. So I sighted it in right on at 100 yards - knowing that it would hit 3" high on the first shot out of a clean barrel. Bullet will expand big time on deer. Good luck. Roskoe
Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the input. Cayuqad, I appreciate yours very much too. I just wanted to see what others had to say.

I don't necessarily want them to drop in their tracks. Although that's nice. I just hate the thought of wondering if that deer ever went down. I know that happens sometimes. I just want to minimize that possibility.

If anybody else has anything to add, please do.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one thing I would add is another question . I was reading my knight manual last nite and it said to allways use a wad when shooting conicals . I was woundering if that is what you who are shooting conicals are doing , and if so which type of wad you are useing ?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Greener

C'mon, there's gotta' be a few other .45 cal hunters on this board.
Yes....45 cal deer killsunder 100yds with TC Hawkens using the following:

90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke wondewad
.018"pillow ticking patch
Hornady .440 lead ball

90grns Goex 2F (FFg)
Oxyoke wonderwad
TC 255grn Maxi-Hunter
Old 10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

greener,

I use the PR 250gr spitzer over 110gr of FFF APP in my Knight .45. Never recall having a pass thru out to about 110 yrds. Some will disagree but I don't believe in the "pass thru" is better theory. Its great for blood trail,but a waste of energy where it counts. In a perfect world a projectile will enter,expend its energy and leave a dimple in the hide on opposite side while deer drops in its tracks. This is assuming you hit the vitals.I have never had a deer move further than 15-20yds with the 250gr PR's. Great bullet with consistant above average accuracy. I have used the 195gr power belt as back up bullet or a 2nd deer shot. The PR's can be a real bear to load on 2nd round and need a sledge on 3rd round unless you do a spit swab in field.The PB's are a real quick follow up round.

IMO if you have a bullet thats doin its job and accurate - stick with it.

BTW - I just watched a show on OLN where a guy took a very large deer 11pnt in Canada with your gun using 195gr PB's and Pyro pellets. The deer dropped in its tracks.Alot of folks under estimate the ability of the .45.