Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Public Land Mule Deer Hunt >

Public Land Mule Deer Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Public Land Mule Deer Hunt

Old 03-04-2002, 08:19 AM

Default Public Land Mule Deer Hunt

Does anyone know of any good public land to hunt Mule Deer in Colorado/Wyoming or Montana? I was looking into the Wyoming Walk-In area hunts, but need to hurry by March 15, any recommended region? How do these Walk-In area hunts work, are they crowded?
Old 03-04-2002, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Land Mule Deer Hunt

Have you looked in to NV? 89% public land. The apps will be online March 18th. $200 + $10 application fee. Areas 6,7,8,10,11,12 and 14 are areas that either I or my friends hunt, and the hunting is pretty good. We have all seen or taken bucks that are over 24"(use should see this one guy's garage!). Try not to hunt too early, because most of the time it will be into the 70's well into October. There is supposed to be a change of seasons this year though, so we'll see what happens.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother and I went on a mule deer hunt just west of Cody, Wyoming. There were lots of deer and both of us got a mulie. We did go with an outfitter but the areas we killed ours in were not wilderness areas. You must have an outfitter if you hunt a wilderness area. It was an easy draw (90% at the time) and we saw more deer in a day there than in a week of hunting in Colorado. I do not remember the game units we hunted.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:05 AM

The walk in areas I'm familar with are private ranches that will let you on to hunt, no permission required. Hunter managment is the same only you have to have permission from the rancher.

The areas I hunt have limited quota permits so its not too crowded.

Lots of BLM, state, and NF to hunt also.