Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Question about live music >

Question about live music

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Question about live music

Old 01-26-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Question about live music

Ok guys, i need your input. I play lead guitar for a blues band with 3 other dudes. Thing is, we play live stuff at a couple places, and one is some pizza/sub/kid place with a bunch of head bangin death music type people. They like are stuff, but not all that much. My question is, we're going to play at our schools battle of the bands, and im wanting you guys to tell me if its going to be a waste of time or if you would want to hear soul blues type stuff. We play ZZ top, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan. All that stuff. What do you think? Thanks for your input, its appreciated.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about live music

If you feel good playing it as well as you bandmates then i say go for it. I used to play drums in a 'band' after school but nothing serious. But like i said, anything you all like playing, go for it [:-]
Old 01-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do it. I play bass in a band and you should play as much as you can. Its not only fun to do, but the more people that hear you, the better.

Just make sure you have to right equipment. Sometimes those battle of the bands gigs take place in big halls and such, and you'll need powerful equipment.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 AM

i play bass too.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:19 PM

No kidden about the equipment. One time at an outdoor gig, the P.A. system wouldnt pick up my fender twin because i guess it was to loud or somethin. But, you ahve to turn the thing up otherwise you dont get any good tone. I know one time i put my amp in a closet, turned the thing up to 10, put the microphone outside the door, and it was still almost too loud! it was cool though. I personally dont have any problem playing anywhere, its the other members. I think if you total all the years theyve been playin, it wouldnt add up to mine. They get so discouraged over everything and i dont know how to pick them up other than just sayin it sounds good. I just dont want them gettin discouraged because some @$$ wipe kid starts booin(which will be dealt with shortly after,[>:]) I think ive got them convinced in going though. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious, how many watts are you cranking outta your system?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:13 PM

My twin is i believe 80 or 88 watts. Its a fully clean amp, but if you turn it up and play with the bass and tremelo enough, you can get a natural overdrive. But, in most live shows i play, i cant turn it up past 3, and thats even to loud. I would like to keep on about 4 1/2 all the time but its just to hard on the audience. So, i have to keep it on 3, then i play through a Tube screamer overdrive pedal, then that goes to a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal, which goes through a Vox Cry baby Wah Wah, which then plugs in to one of the strats i have(depending on which one im playing that night). I only use the distortion on some screamin solos, mostly i just use overdrive since i like that clean stevie sound. Hope that answers your question. lol.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

If you like what you are doing, keep doing it. ZZ top is pretty cool. I listen to them a lot. BB
Old 01-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep that answers it...Boss makes some good pedals. They make a nice super-overdrive pedal, (its the yellow one)