Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
Getting Ready for Next Season. >

Getting Ready for Next Season.

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Getting Ready for Next Season.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting Ready for Next Season.

This was the first season I took one of my children with me hunting and its been a heck of a lot of fun despite it being an all around poor season otherwise. She just turned 8 and will turn 9 during next hunting season. I took a few seasons off after having to change hunting locations and whatnot so we both got back into it together.

So, we made a deal. She had to go along and prove she was patient enough and grasped the big picture in order to earn the right to shoot next season. Certainly, there's alot that has to happen in the off season but she has blown away all expectations this season....

She sits quietly, she loves hanging out, driving around the ranch, talking about hunting and she really does get it, but then, she's an extremely bright kid (she takes after mother)((yeah, no one says "hey, I have a dumb kid" I know but still))

Ok, so. My aresenal was somewhat reduced about a year ago when my house was robbed and I didn't have everything in the gun safe. I'm shooting a .30-06 and I have a new (well, I've never shot it, a gift from my dad) .308 I need to rig up with some optics and shoot in.

But....my daughter is very...petite. I don't want her shooting a cannon and the recoil is my biggest concern. I initially thought about the .308 but it might still be too much gun for her. Besides, my wife is even making noise about hunting next season. I need to acquire a new rifle (or two...I have a 5 year old daughter as well) and I'm thinking on exactly what to choose.

So...a good hunting rifle for an 8 year old girl. Something that won't kick like a mule but will take down a deer and will grow with her. A .223 (or a .222, for that matter) will do the job but that's still a little light. I'm leaning toward a .243 or a .25-06. Then there is the .308 I already have but the .30-06 is a long term loaner and I really need to have my own rifle.

More than likely I'll go with something pretty standard and solid. An old school Remington 700 would be perfect. I''ve had a .270 and a 7Mag and both of those were plenty good. Just trying to figure out which caliber would be the best.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

You might look at getting a New England Firearms .243, they aren't expensive and they are a single shot, which taught me to make good on the first squeeze everytime. Also it had a heavy bull barrel on it, not too heavy to carry but enought that it made the recoil non-existent, just an idea. I know my brother started with a .223 and while yes it will kill a deer it better be a perfect shot everytime as it will most likely not exit. But from what I hear a .308 has a similar recoil to a .243. But in the end it boils down to what fits her best and what she shoots the best. But every caliber you listed is a solid caliber. The only one that would make myself nervous is the 7mm but if you put a muzzle break on it then I'd say give it a shot too. And as for the Remington 700, I love that rifle, we have two, one in .270 and mine is a .300WM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 22-250, 243, 25-06, 257 roberts, 260 or 7mm08 would be good choices for deer, without much recoil. I have a soft spot for the 25-06 when it comes to rifles in the crossover calibers for varmints, targets, and deer. Recoil pads do work wonders. You might consider getting a youth stock. And keep the full-size for yourself
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

My dad had a .25-06, Weatherby Vanguard VGX, for a while while I was younger. Took a pronghorn with it, straight shooter....but he decided to trade it in....he does that....often, heh. Said he wanted more power, something he could take big game hunting but he already has a .300 WinMag cannon. /shrug. Earl is one of a kind.

I looked this up and printed it up earlier today. According to this, .243 is much lighter on recoil than a .308 and .25 though it may be splitting hairs at that point.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Then I found another article where the author went on at length why .243 is his favorite caliber for white tail.

I'll check out that single shot as well as a few bolt action options.

Also, I talked with a buddy today about my own rifle. I am shooting my uncle's .30-06 and this buddy of mine shot it some for me prior to the season. He says its the best gun I'll even have and I tend to agree. FN barrel with a Mauser action. Its a little loose and alot old school but it makes nice groups. So...I may end up seeing if I can trade the .308 for a .243.

Last edited by Horacio; 12-14-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Horacio
My dad had a .25-06, Weatherby Vanguard VGX, for a while while I was younger. Took a pronghorn with it, straight shooter....but he decided to trade it in....he does that....often, heh. Said he wanted more power, something he could take big game hunting but he already has a .300 WinMag cannon. /shrug. Earl is one of a kind.

I looked this up and printed it up earlier today. According to this, .243 is much lighter on recoil than a .308 and .25 though it may be splitting hairs at that point.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Then I found another article where the author went on at length why .243 is his favorite caliber for white tail.

I'll check out that single shot as well as a few bolt action options.

Also, I talked with a buddy today about my own rifle. I am shooting my uncle's .30-06 and this buddy of mine shot it some for me prior to the season. He says its the best gun I'll even have and I tend to agree. FN barrel with a Mauser action. Its a little loose and alot old school but it makes nice groups. So...I may end up seeing if I can trade the .308 for a .243.
For women and children the 260 Remington has impressed me for lack of recoil and effectiveness.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree w/ the 260. my sister started out before the 260 wildcat cartridge was ever built w/ a 6.5x55. thats a sweet little round for just about anything. light recoil and mostly built on rifles of small frame. probably ideally ide look at a mod 7 in a 260.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

not a rifle but i came up using a remington 870 20 gauge with a youth stock and.... not much kick ... add a sims or limbsavers recoil pad and she should be just fine
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

a 243. will be a good choice, maybe im just a wuss, but the 308. i sighted in for a buddy 2 years back had a heck of alot more kick than a 243. ( i suggest a savage, good price and good gun ).

i like to think a 270 is best all around, for me at least but when i think back if never killed a deer that a 243 wouldnt have done the same job on ( at least i dont think ) so...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think everyone has this one covered quite well so I have no suggestions. But, Hats off to you for introducing your little ones to hunting. I want to take my son maybe next year or so. Hopefully he doesn't end up like his mom which is a bunny hugger.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw
a 243. will be a good choice, maybe im just a wuss, but the 308. i sighted in for a buddy 2 years back had a heck of alot more kick than a 243. ( i suggest a savage, good price and good gun ).

i like to think a 270 is best all around, for me at least but when i think back if never killed a deer that a 243 wouldnt have done the same job on ( at least i dont think ) so...

only problem w/ the 270 is its a long action cartridge. finding a youth gun or a gun in a smaller frame is most likley going to be a short chambering....hence the .260

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.