Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

How young?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

The first gun i ever shot was at 7 years old. My pap had me shoot a single shot 12 guage slug, no recoil pad, he said if you can take the shock from this you should be able to shoot any rifle, needless to say i did it and started hunting shortly after that, ill never forget the pain lol
Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I killed my first sparrow at age 4, with a bb gun that my dad found in the trunk of an old car and fixed for me. I started my daughter shooting with her first bb gun at age 4 also and started her shooting 22's about the same time. She is an amazing shot but never really got into hunting so much. I was very proud though to see her teach the boys next door to shoot, They were 6 and 8 years old. Now that my daughter is grown to almost 19 years she has a boyfriend who owns a lot of land and hunts, and she may be a hunter yet.
I would get a $20 spring loaded bb gun and spend time teaching her to shoot paper targets and pop cans. She will need help hammering the gun for a while. When you think she's ready get a cricket .22. It's small and light weight enough for a small child to hold and shoot and you can soon be sqirrel hunting.

Last edited by Red Hawk; 02-08-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: word was censored but not meant as curse.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was 6,i started with a 338 Winchester Magnum.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was about 5 or 6. The older I get, the excate age I always forget but i'll stick to those ages
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

ive been hunting since i was seven and i started with a 20 gauge on ducks and squirrles and deer and a 410 on phesants and deer
Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Spike

since i was 4 my dad and uncles tought me to shoot with air rifles and an old 10/22. since 6 i shoot .22 pistols and at 8 i went hunting with a 10/22 at 10 i started with the rifles and at 12 with the shotguns after that everything.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is a right or wrong age to start your kids shooting or hunting. IMO it all depends on there maturiy. I know kids that are 10 that I wouldn't trust witha gun. Most would say I started my son out to early. He started out shooting coons out of traps at age 3. He was hunting squirrels at age 4. Took his first turkey at age 6, a rio in TX and then and eastern in MO 3 weeks later. He also deer hunted that year too. Killed a big doe at 100 yards with a .243 and a super nice 9 pt at 70 yards with my .270.