Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

How young?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Spike

Default How young?

Wasn't sure where to post this, thought this was the most appropriate forum. What age did you start your youngster shooting a gun and what caliber did you have them shooting? Just wondering...as I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter who wants to go hunting with daddy in the worst way. So I bought a ground blind so she can come along and while at Dick's whats the first thing she points out and says she wants but a Pink Camo .22 rifle.... All she talks about is wanting to shoot deer like dad! While I know that 3 1/2 is a little young, I have read posts of 5,6 + yr olds shooting deer...I love that she is so into hunting and want to get her "active" in it before she loses interest. I show and teach her how each of my guns works, how to be safe with them, I emphasis on gun safety. She even gets right into it, helping me take them apart and clean them. Well sorry for the long post...just a very proud father.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

I got my first bb gun when I was about 4 years old, still have it and shoot it to this day. I also got my first bow when I was 4 (it was a big year). I started shooting a .22 when I turned 7, but coulda started sooner. And by the time I was 8 I had a .243 and shot my first turkey and deer. I love watching little kids go out with their parents, it reminds me of when I started hunting and reemphasizes to me why I am still just as addicted now as I was then if not more now.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was about 5 when my dad started taking me hunting with him. I was allowed to carry my toy gun but only as long as I handled it safely. I was 9 before I got a BB gun. I was not allowed to carry a loaded weapon until the age of 12 and passed hunter safety.

IMO, even under supervision, anything less than 12 is too young to be given a loaded firearm more powerful than a BB gun. But that is the way I was raised.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

thats a little young in my book to take deer hunting not saying its bad to take her but like i was i suggest maybe taking her a a few outings maybe shooting squirrels or other small game
Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Spike

I would say 10-12 years old with a .410 or 20 ga shotgun. It would depend on what type of gun they would be shooting and each childs maturity level !!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was started shooting on .22's and high powered rifles at 4 or 5, you just teach the kid a TON about safety and when you trust them you allow them to shoot targets. for high powered you brace yourself behind her to absorb the kick... I was duck/goose hunting with my dad since i could walk, and deer hunting shortly after, so its all up to you.

and in response to some of the posts, there is a difference between taking a child hunting, and taking the child where they are the shooter.

Oh and I was only allowed to shoot game animals(not rodents) after i passed hunter safety at 10
Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Spike

Thanks to all who have chimed in on this, and to those who havent and would like to...please do so. I agree with alot of what you have all said, lots of good thoughts and insights. I know she's not ready to shoot any sort of gun just yet, maybe next christmas ill buy her her a bb/pellet gun she will be 4 1/2 then. I would love to get her into target shooting as soon as shes ready, but will not allow her to hunt anything without first taking her hunters safety course and without direct supervision by me. Also, I am a firm believer of DON'T SHOOT IT IF YOU AIN'T GONNA EAT IT!!!, that is unless it is a nuisance and causing damages...so the only small game for her will probably be limited to Turkey and Water Follow. As far as gun safety, I preach it to her every second we are in contact with any firearm.

Huntnteen you said it best...there is a BIG difference in the child hunting with you and being the one to pull the trigger. I remember my first hunting expedition w/ my dad and uncle, I wasnt old enough to carry a gun at the time, but it was a great time, sittin in the woods, looking around and when you first spot a deer and tap your dad on the arm and point and he pulls the gun up and u cover your ears...well you all know the rest! its very exciting, but when I was able to carry a gun and pulled the trigger on my first buck (a nice big 3 1/2 yr old 8 pointer) theres nothing like it! Although I must say, any hunting outing is great and when you can go out and share it with family and friends thats what makes it truely special.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile How old?

The idea of hunting never occurred to me until I was 16 and my husband introduced me to it. But I don't think kids should have to wait until 12 to hunt with a gun. I don't know that a four-year old is really capable of understanding what a gun is capable of doing though.

Lookiing back at my childhood, which wasn't that long ago, I'm 19, I think I would have been responsible enough at seven or eight to hunt with a gun. But I've always been very bright and extremely responsible. But even bright and responsible kids like I was still need close adult supervision.

I'm tempted to say that a parent should be the one to determine whether a child is mature enough, but not all parents are mature enough themselves. I've read some rather bizarre comments from parents about their kids and guns. Unfortunately, that's why we have arbitrary rules imposed on us.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

My Daughter is 10 and is going with me this year. She wanted to go last year, but I had to have shoulder surgery and missed the season. Anyway, she started shooting an air-gun at about 8, and a .22 at 9. She routinely out-shoots me with the .22!! We have a .243 and are looking for deer and/or hog this year. Quota permits end today at the WMA where we hunt, so we have a few days planned over Thanksgiving break! I'm ready!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started at 12 but I sont see why a 6 or 7 would be too bad but at four Idk, my 4 yr nephew i cant imagine even attempting to shoot a deer, lol he is a nut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.