Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
Hunting pictures(this year only) >

Hunting pictures(this year only)

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Hunting pictures(this year only)

Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eh, actually wrote it myself When we deal with 2 pieces of the same metal in differing masses, the density (not sectional density) stays the same. Here you've given me even more leeway. If both carbon and aluminum arrows were to weigh the same, but the carbon had a smaller diameter, the density of the carbon arrow as a whole (of course, including empty volume inside it as that's part of the arrow) is greater than that of the aluminum: again, greater penetration and a completely unrelated comparison of shot sizes made of the same material.

I'm guessing we will have to agree to disagree, as my experiences are other than that of yours.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well im back from my second outing, our group got 15 ducks 11 geese.

Anyways, i feel that at longer ranges the larger has more penetration and knockdown power then the smaller shot. The smaller the shot has alot more pellets and increases your chances of hitting at close range
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntnteen
Well im back from my second outing, our group got 15 ducks 11 geese.

Anyways, i feel that at longer ranges the larger has more penetration and knockdown power then the smaller shot. The smaller the shot has alot more pellets and increases your chances of hitting at close range
Congrats on the successful outing

I am in complete agreement with your statement. Smaller shot gives a denser pattern and more likelihood of hitting the target lethally--especially important with the fast, up-close movement. Energy isn't a necessary comparison the closer the range is, as stuff is going to become dead It's just matching the distance, to the size of the bird, to the patterning of your load and choke. #3s get my vote for the best overall shot size on mallard sized ducks at average ranges. 2s or 3s on close-up geese, but later in the season they don't tend to come in as close and I like a tighter choke and larger shot to match the circumstances.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im second from the left, my dad is on the far right. The other two are my hunting partners who i hunt with almost every trip