Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Turkey Gun Patterns >

Turkey Gun Patterns

Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Turkey Gun Patterns

Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey Gun Patterns

Well ladies and gentlemen. Turkey season is quickly approaching and I advise each of you heading into the woods this year to get out and try some new loads, chokes, and gun combos. Due to money expenses, I could not try everything I wanted but here is a little taste of what I will be dealing with this year. I have decided to turn my Remington 870 Express 20 Gauge into my turkey gun.

I will begin with the choke patterns. All shot at 30 yards.

870 Remington 20 Gaugewith TruGlo Gobble Stopper Xtreme Choke and Remington #6 Birdshot
(Terrible pattern, few BB's in killing pattern and little knock-down behind them)

870 Remington 20 Gauge with TruGlo Gobble Stopper Xtreme Choke and Winchester Supreme Turkey Loads #5
(Very good pattern with a lot of velocity, shooter was a tad off though )

870 Remington 20 Gauge with TruGlo Gobble Stopper Xtreme Choke and Federal Magnum Turkey Loads #5
(Very good pattern, this will probably be my top choice come spring)

870 Remington 20 Gauge with Factory Modified Choke and Federal MagnumTurkey Loads #5
(Look at this difference between the pattern with this picture and the previous picture. Same gun and load, just with a modified and super full choke. Definatly makes a difference)

Now for the Finale

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Gun Patterns

Nice setup, why do you have so many diaphram calls?
Also I shoot a 20 Gauge and I got 1 pellet in consistently at 30 yards looks like Ill stick to maximum of 30 yrds. even then it will be a stretch.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:35 PM

buckhunter, I have that exact gun with that exact choke. It is a deadly combination. I also have a Hi-Vis sight on mine which I love.

For this spring though, this is my turkey pattern.
35 yards=Dead Cope Lid
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

Nice setup, why do you have so many diaphram calls?
Also I shoot a 20 Gauge and I got 1 pellet in consistently at 30 yards looks like Ill stick to maximum of 30 yrds. even then it will be a stretch.
Each diaprham call makes a different noise, some are better for clucks and putts, others purrs, others yelps. I have more, just don't use them.

If you are only getting one pellet in a turkeys head at thirty yards.... You need a different gun, choke, and load combonation.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Not bad patterns.I shoot a 12gaugeBenelli SuperNova with an Indian Creek choke tube, shooting Federal Flite Control #5s. I'll post up some pattern pics later, but at thirty yards I'm putting between 35-40 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target. That Indian Creek choke made all the difference. I just bought some Hevi 13 #5s today, going to pattern them tomorrow. I'll post up some pics afterwards to show the results.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

Not bad patterns.I shoot a 12gaugeBenelli SuperNova with an Indian Creek choke tube, shooting Federal Flite Control #5s. I'll post up some pattern pics later, but at thirty yards I'm putting between 35-40 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target. That Indian Creek choke made all the difference. I just bought some Hevi 13 #5s today, going to pattern them tomorrow. I'll post up some pics afterwards to show the results.
That is a good pattern with a 12 gauge as well. I'm putting anywhere from about 27-34 BB's in the head and neck at thirty yards with my 20 gauge so I'm pretty happy with it. I have heard very good things about Indian Creek Chokes, as well as they are expensive. But if it kills you a bird, its all worth it.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

That is a good pattern with a 12 gauge as well. I'm putting anywhere from about 27-34 BB's in the head and neck at thirty yards with my 20 gauge so I'm pretty happy with it. I have heard very good things about Indian Creek Chokes, as well as they are expensive. But if it kills you a bird, its all worth it.
I finally bought an Indian Creek after hearing so many good things about them, and I'm glad I did. After paying shipping I paid $82 total for it, but in my eyes it was worth it. After work today I'm going to run some hevi shot through it and see what happens. If my camera will work right I'll have some pics up by tonight.