Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Injuries!  how long? (huntingirl's questions answered) >

Injuries! how long? (huntingirl's questions answered)

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Injuries! how long? (huntingirl's questions answered)

Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Injuries! how long? (huntingirl's questions answered)

1) my right shoulder has a second degree seperation! again!
2) broken thumb, broken pointer finger, (both) broken ring finger, and broken middle finger.
3) i had the bone in my ankle sticking out of the skin.
4) broke my collor bone.
5) broke my wrist.
6) broke my arm.
7) have 642 stitches.

this all happened after one incident! so i was wondering if any one knew how long i would be in casts for all this? or when the stitches come out? i know the docs were telling me but my head wasnt exactly in it when he was explaining it to me! (huntingirl89 im guessing you will have the best input) how long will i be in this kinda pain? shouldnt it start to feel better pretty soon?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Little Doe Peep

Default RE: Injuries! how long?

Good Grief! That's awful. What happened?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

DANG!!!dude what happened 2 you???
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Umm yea what happend? You got a whyle before youll be out of casts. And youll still prob be in pain from it for a long time.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

jeez...I didn't think I was THAT rough on ya...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

1) my right shoulder has a second degree seperation! again!
3-6 weeks for it to feel better, about 6 months total healing time, even then you have to be careful -- soft tissue injuries are often the worst
2) broken thumb, broken pointer finger, (both) broken ring finger, and broken middle finger.
Are these all on the same hand? The docs should have just taped all of your fingers together in a cast if that was the case. If not, keep movement limited and depending on the extent of the breaks stay off of the computer. Typing is horrible for them and can stress out the broken muscle tissue. This will take 3-6 weeks.
3) i had the bone in my ankle sticking out of the skin.
Compound fracture. Possibly the most difficult to heal due to the extent of soft tissue and hard bone damage. I'm suprised that they didn't roll you into the OR for this, that is usually the case. Which bone did you break and where? Are you in a cast? It'll be about 6 weeks before the cast comes off if you have one, physical therapy will be about 6 months and hopefully you'll have full rotation and full use of it by deer season in the fall. This injury will bother you for the rest of your life.
4) broke my collor bone.
That one is a tricky one. Depending on how the doctors immobilized it will determine your pain factor and healing time. The worst thing they could have done for it is put you in a sling, however I've seen many ER docs do this. If they put you in a figure 8 it'll be easier on you in the long-run, although initially very painful. You'll have better function of your arm. If this is the case, you'll want to get two of these, just ask your primary care physician for another one so you can wear it while you shower. You will not want to be without that at any point in time. This will take about 6 months to heal completely since it is a bone that you don't realize just how much you use it until its in pain. After about 3 weeks you should see marked improvement but you still should not drive (especially if you're on pain meds) or make any rotating movements.
5) broke my wrist.
Is this on the same hand as the fingers? Which bones in the wrist did you break? The long bones or the carpels? You could either be in a cast for this or in a wrist brace depending on the severity of the break. Did you actually break your wrist or is it a fracture? This will take 3-6 weeks to heal, 8 weeks before you're using it somewhat normally again.
6) broke my arm.
Again, is this the same hand as the wrist and the fingers? This should all be casted if you broke them all on the same side. 3-6 weeks recovery, 8-10 weeks for healing.
7) have 642 stitches.
642 stitches? I've put less stitches in cadavers! It depends on what kind of stitch they used, whether they used catgut, silk, mattress or staples. There's also several other kinds of stitches that dissolve on their own over time and you can just pull them out yourself. I've had those many many times. Healing time for this depends on where the stitches are located on your body and the type they used and how deep they had to sew (one layer, two, all seven, membrane, muscle tissue, etc.)

this all happened after one incident! so i was wondering if any one knew how long i would be in casts for all this? or when the stitches come out? i know the docs were telling me but my head wasnt exactly in it when he was explaining it to me! (huntingirl89 im guessing you will have the best input) how long will i be in this kinda pain? shouldnt it start to feel better pretty soon?

What the heck do I have to scold you for now boy?!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

no it was a long story. basically a girl im good friends withneeded some help getting away froma n abusive boyfriend! unfortunitly the guy she needed help to get away from was the incredible hulk himself and had a temper as short as the hulk! i was able to help the girl but the doc said that i needed more than duct tape to heal these wounds.[:@]

huntigirl, the seperated shoulder is on the right side, (this is the 4th time i have had this problem) the fingers are all broke on the right hand except my pinky, and only one finger is broke on my left!they did cast the entire hand and wrist and it goes all the way up to my shoulder since the seperated shoulder, broken collar bone, and thebroken arm are all on the right side.(the wrist i broke was my right hand as well)

as for the ankle i have no idea where it broke or what bone! honestly when i got to my room i was in alot of pain and started trying to analize how bad i was, whe i saw the bone sticking out i just duct taped it to cover it up cause it was starting to creep me out! (no need to yell at me for that one the doc already did!) and aparently duct tape doesnt stop bleeding like stitches do, acording to my doctor.

collar bone, they put me in this weird contraption. i dont know what its called but it goes all the way around my waist and velcroes, then it has a spot it locks my bicept in place and then the nexrt spot lockes my wrist in place along my stomach. but it is also in the sling! (right side as well!) so im a kinda double thing! (my right side took the worst of it if you couldnt tell)

the stitches are every where! and i dont know the extint of them! i drove myself tot eh hospital the next day! so its not like i waited three or four days!
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM

WOW ...... You got mangled. Hopefully your better for hunting next year.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY CRAP!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM

DANG!!!!!Did youhit him back? lol

Quick Reply: Injuries! how long? (huntingirl's questions answered)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.