Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 whens the best time for scouting deer? >

whens the best time for scouting deer?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

whens the best time for scouting deer?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Default whens the best time for scouting deer?

hey everyone i was just wondering when do you guys go scouting for whitetails??? when is the best time of year??
Old 02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whens the best time for scouting deer?

All year round....the deer are always out there.

If you don't have the time or the energy to spend that much time, I would suggest once or twice in the early spring to look for old rubs, scapes, sheds, and trails. Then again in late summer spend a couple days out and about checking up on local food sources and find the trails they are using.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 PM

I would have to say after the last snow melts........
Old 02-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Anytime you can get into the woods or where ever you hunt is good. But when season is a couple of weeks away you need to hit it hard and make sure you no where there deer are at and all there other patterns.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:37 PM

Honestly, deer scouting should be continual. Alot of guys say August some say late June, but really the best time to scout is right after the hunting season ends. Go out with your small game gun and hunt down some rabbits. At the same time, be looking for any deer sign too that might have came up after the hunting season (fresh tracks, beds, travel routes) see if you can figure out a pattern. If you scouted in mid summer see if the travel patterns and bedding areas corelate to what you are seeing post season. if you notice a common trend...atleast you might know a good spot to hang a stand late season next year....good luck huntin and scoutin
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Any time is the best time to scout for deer. The more time you spend in the woods the better you know your surroundings and the land. Also, you will be able to find trails, feeding areas, drinking areas..etc. What im sayin is whenever you have spare time..you should be doing your homework..in the woods!!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM

yea i go all year round and i find a buch of sign and were ever i see most of the sign through out the time i scout that area is the plac i figure i will have the best luck so go scoutin all year round even durin season