Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

knifes

Old 09-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default knifes

what knife would you recomend for a youth hunter.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Default RE: knifes

i would get whatever knife you are most comfortable with, remember size isnt everything, and just becoause it is expensive doesnt mean its good. Go to your local sporting goods shops and take a look. one more thing, you cant resharped serrated knives, if that affects your choice at all.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a nice gutting knife I would way a Buck Knife. It is a very popular knife for gutting.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:55 PM

i got a gerber knife(gator w/gut hook,,i think is what it is)for my b-day two or three year ago and i like it alot,,they have/had them at walmart for realitively cheap,,i used it to gut four or five deer before i ever sharpened it and it held an edge really well,,
Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Don't purchase anything with less than a 5" blade and always wear it on your hip, don't stuff it down in your pack. You never know what may happen and you may just need it in a hurry.

In the area I hunt we've got a lot of cougars and bears, walking around the woods with anything less than a 5" blade is insane. A friend of our family's was hunting turkeys several years ago and after cleaning it by a creek he headed back to his truck only to run into a bear and her cubs AND a cougar. Both chased him 1/4 to his truck. Don't take chances.

Buck makes a good solid quality knife, as does Old Timer. I would stay away from Kershaw, though they've got a reputation of being a quality knife manufacturer their recent blades have been brittle and prone to breakage. Gerber is alright, though their blades tend to lose their edges faster than others (as of late).

Serrated edges are over rated, keep that in mind. You're losing blade length to gain a section of serrated edge that you'll rarely (if ever) use. Deffinitly don't purchse a knife with a serrated edge on the back side. Bought a Kershaw for my dad a couple years back with about 2 inches of serrated edge on the back, no thumb stop. While gutting steelhead in the winter, in the snow, and because he already has lost about 75% feeling in his fingers/hands his thumbs slipped and he wound up slicing his thumb to the bone.

My two votes would be for Buck or Old Timer.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a buck knive with a 5 inch regular blade and 2 gerber gator's each with a 5 inch blade. My one gerber is the serreated and the other has the gut hook. I havent found where the serreated really makes a difference though. I usually carry my gerber with the guthook. I think gerber makes quality knives especialy for the price. My buck knive i use when butchering and after it gets dull i use one of my gerbers. I actualy find my gerbers hold a better edge than my buck. A lockblade is deffinately a safer knive to carry. Any yes u can carry them on ur belt to so they wont get lost in your pack if u please. They come with a clothe carrying sheathe that goes right on ur belt loop. Whatever u buy just make sure u keep a good edge on it. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to gut a deer with a dull knive that would probably suck. Good luck
Old 09-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

for a good sheath knife i like the bucks with a i think a 6 or 7 in blade. but for gutting knife i really like the wyoming knife i don't really know how to explain it but it has a razor gut hook and blade. works great and has replaceable blades.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:57 PM

Buck, smooth blade, no longer than about 4 inches, folding, and make sure it has 440 steel or better.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter9022

Buck, smooth blade, no longer than about 4 inches, folding, and make sure it has 440 steel or better.
That would be the ever popular Model #110 Folding Hunter , I have two of them . Best folders I ever bought and the only ones I still have . All Buck knives are 440C or better .
Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks Kevin, i couldnt remember the name of it. I bought one when i was in arkansas a few years ago just because, and its my favorite knife. I bought one of those gold lookin buck knives with the solid smooth blade, and its nice but way to big for gutting. Great kitchen knife though.

Quick Reply: knifes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.