Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

first food plot

Old 05-02-2005, 06:49 AM

Default first food plot

i live on a 150 acre farm in CT, my dad and i both hunt. this year i was planning on planting a food plot, maybe some antler growth stuff, i dont know. i really have no clue what i'm doing as far as what to plant, i have all the equiptment i'll need such as a tractor and harrow, but i dont know what the best stuff to plant is, when to plant it, or where... any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 02:45 PM

Default RE: first food plot

i can't tell you how much fun my ole' man and i have had together creating and maintaining our food plots. food plots will increase your encounters w/ critters, so get on it!

here's a pic from last may of my dad tilling our duck marsh for a milo/corn planting

i'd recommend planting as large of an area as "recreationally" possible, depending on your equipment. start w/ one acre this year and go from there (i.e. multiple 1 acre plots on your 150 acres).

imo, the best and easiest crop to plant is inoculated ladino clover overseeded w/ winter rye planted in late summer/early fall.
the clover should last 3-5 seasons if you mow periodically through out the summer to reduce weed competition and deer love clover.

pics were taken last weekend of my clover/rye plot

i'm sure there will be other replies w/ good advice on what to plant. i'd include a strip of brassicas on one side of the perennial clover plot as well to really cover your bases.

good luck!