Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2 questions, please help

Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 AM

Default 2 questions, please help

1st question I have is if I grow corn for the soul purpose of feeding wildlife what opptions do I have for mowing the field down in the spring. I dont have access to a picker. Can I just use a brush hog and mow it over or will I need something else?

2nd question is I'm in the market for a new utility tractor in the 35 to 40 horse power range any recommendations and please tell me why you say a certain brand, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: 2 questions, please help

I am in the same situation as you as far as the corn field. Originally, I was planning on burning it, but I don't think it will. Now I am thinking about brush hogging it down and plowing it under. If I wasn't going to plow, I would probably brush hog and then burn. It sort of depends on how much trash that will be on top after mowing. Farm hunters and others will know more about this.

As far as the tractor, I would seriously look at the closest dealers, whether they have mechanics to work on tractors, and the number of replacement parts they have on hand and the owners personality and devotion. Then I would choose one of them. That way if any thing happens to the tractor, you have a close place to take it too, or buy parts from. Any of the name brands generally are good. I like Fords myself, but that is just what I grew up with. The local Ford dealer in my area will come in during off hours if I need a replacement parts in an emergency.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:35 AM

I would just mow it and leave it for a while.the deer , turkys and all the other wildlife will use it.there will be a lot of feed on the grown.
when you get ready to plane you new plot.turn and disk it.

as for the tractor,check the local farm tractor shop,they my know someone that is getting a new and you canpick up a used one pretty cheap.
I have a Yanmar 1500 desile.it is small but works great for a plot.I have a disk,bush hog, bottom ploy and middle buster.thats all I need for what I have.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a small tractor, there are a lot of good brands out there. I have used and like John Deere, New Holland, and Massey Ferguson. We have an old MF that we use for shredding and driving posts. It is a great little tractor because there's just not much to it. My neighbor has some little NH's and JD's that were great little tractors. Of course, they had a lot of features on them that the old MF doesn't have, but I was impressed with them. They were also 4wd, which was a nice addition.

As far as the tractor, I would seriously look at the closest dealers, whether they have mechanics to work on tractors, and the number of replacement parts they have on hand and the owners personality and devotion. Then I would choose one of them. That way if any thing happens to the tractor, you have a close place to take it too, or buy parts from. Any of the name brands generally are good. I like Fords myself, but that is just what I grew up with. The local Ford dealer in my area will come in during off hours if I need a replacement parts in an emergency.
What Greg said is pretty much what I go by. I have had good dealings in my area with the John Deere and Massey Ferguson folks. One of the major reasons we switched from Case to John Deere for our main tractor was the local dealership. We were having way too many bad experiences with the Case AND the dealership.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plant the corn and leave it up for the deer, if any of it is standing in the spring, then bush hog it down, then disc over it, if it is already down then just disc it, dont burn it, it is good mulch, plant right in the mulch again and repeat the process, I have been discing stalk ground today, we are trying to get 1800 acres of corn in right now and the 16 row planter is right up my gazzu, 3 days ago I was a farm ahead of him, now we are on the same farm... As for tractors we are partial to green, but Kubota or Ford are good, like someone suggested have the dealer close. for parts and service...
Old 04-22-2005, 06:07 AM

I appreciate the feed back. Once I put the corn in I will leave it up until spring and then cut, plow and replant. I have been leaning towards either John Deere or Kuboto, there is a JD dealer near by. Thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a Ford man. Been on one since I was a kid.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:17 PM

Nothing runs like a deer but Kabota are rugged as old mules on steriods. We use two of them in the blueberry feild and at the barn. The bigger one is four wheel drive and ive seen it move manure that was soked really bad and never get stuck. I would deffently go with a kabota.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 AM

andy_o thanks for the info, out of curiosity which modle Kubota do you guys have? I am still on the fence between JD and Kubota, thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plant the corn and leave it up for the deer, if any of it is standing in the spring, then bush hog it down, then disc over it, if it is already down then just disc it, dont burn it
I Agree with Ron - If you cannot brushog it - you can probably disk it down, then plow. I've plow the stalks down before like they weren't even there - but it can clog a plow pretty bad.

I don't have alot of say on a tractor - I've used several (Ford N, Allis Chalmers, a JD, and The IH 505 I currently use - all did their jobs well. The key is to not over work the tractor. The IH 505 I work with now would probably pull a 3 bottom plow in 3rd gear - but I use a 2 bottom in second gear - it hardly knows I'm plowiong!

- The Old Ford 9N would have had trouble even with a 2 bottom - but it reliably did almost everything else I asked of it.

FH

Quick Reply: 2 questions, please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.