Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

planting clover

Old 12-10-2004, 01:14 AM

Default planting clover

I have 3 "banks" in my yard that is outside my fence. These banks are about 180' long each and are about 8' from top to bottom. I'm getting sick of mowing the banks and I thought that I could kill two birds with one stone by planting clover as a ground cover and feed the deer. Here's the question, one of the slopes are under chestnut trees, I'm wondering how deep I would have to cultivate because I don't want to damage the roots of the trees because they are actually my neibors and the deer love to eat the chestnuts that fall.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: planting clover

for the most part, clover will germinate and get established by just "tickling" the soil. "But" it is nice to have the soil loosened somewhat for root establishment. A 2"-4" should be fine. If your soil is extremely heavy(clay based), I'd recommend going 4"-6". Taz
Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your heart is set on clover - I'd probably hand spray it with round up - then "press in" clover seed.

Side hills are tough though - and clover grows so slow - that if you disturb the soil - you will get annuals that will outcompete the clover unless you mow them a couple times the first year - so if you cannot mow the spots - maybe you should look at other options. I know that the banks of our County roads are seeded with Vetch - I think Hairy Vetch - but I could be wrong. The Vetch really keeps the weeds down - and provides Notrogen to the trees (if inocculated like clover). These banks are rarely mowed - and are allowed to "seed back" most years.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's probably crown vetch on the banks where you have a 1 to 1 side slope
Old 12-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

trefoil is a good stabilizer and has some wildlife benefit
crownvetch is rather invasive and will take over an area, allowing nothing else to grow, also has little wildlife benefit (holds the soil great)
if you want good wildlife feed, clover is the way to go and it will provide good ground cover - possibly mix in a little trefoil
I would use an annual rye for a cover crop as well
Old 12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the trees are Horse Chestnuts you may be OK. But; if they're edible chestnuts (Chinese, American or European) they only grow well in pH 5-6 soil. If you add lime to the soil for the clover you'll kill the chestnuts. Check and see what type they are and check the soil pH.

Dan O.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:15 AM

If you can find Dutch White clover, it may do real good on that bank. PH don't seem as critical to it, lower growing that the other clovers, and it seems the more you mow it, the more it spreads. Much hardier, too. And the deer like it too.

Russ