Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

cheating

Old 12-05-2004, 08:24 AM

Default RE: cheating

If we could bait I would...Baiting, Food Plots, Scent drags, it is all the same. All of them are to lure the deer to where you want them to go. How is it diff't to bait deer to one spot through out the year with corn or salt licks...or throwing a stand up over a couple acre food plot? Both seem fine to me. But I don't think one should be illegal and the other legal.

I'm not looking for a "thrilling" hunt. I'm looking to take the 6 deer the state of Virginia allows me each year along with the 3 turkeys and 1 bear. I hunt to eat. I can afford the steriod injected steaks and hamburger at Wally World but I prefer the stuff I know is natural.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:56 PM

I think hunting food plots are naturally ok to hunt, but if you are hunt bait piles just to kill as many deer as possible thats a problem. I hunt strictly bucks over corn and coarse 14 early in the season but find they dont hit until night fall. I use apple later on when it real cold, I dont know why they like these apple in late nov and dec. Luck has all to do with it I guess
Old 12-09-2004, 02:47 PM

I have no complaints with baiting or food plots, I use both and feel they're very productive. I like to watch wildlife as much if not more than harvesting an animal, it's so relaxing just sitting there watching numerous deer gathered at a food plot or bait pile. The only concern I have isn't with food plots, but baiting. What happens to the deer when all fall and early winter they have corn and other bait offered to them then when hunting season is over the food source is gone. I believe deer start to depend on this bait for survival and then in mid winter it's cut off and they have to find food elsewhere. It's Wisconsin law that you can only bait during season. Just a concern I have!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

We have food plots, feeders that run year round, minerals, apple trees, fertilized browse and I'm going to add a water source this winter and more apple trees in the spring. We try to give them everything they need to stick around on our place and stay healthy.

I spend much more time just setting and watching than I do shooting. I have not shot a buck in three years but have watched many. It is fun watching them interact with each other. I have learned a lot and shot a few does.

Booney, those are three nice bucks!!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what happened to Wally?On one point I somewhat agree with him.I watched a hunting show and it looked like they where shooting out of a house,all they needed was AC& heat.That I thought was a bit much.As for baiting and food plots,love'em.I also even hunt next to acorn producing oak trees,WOW.