Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

SW Minnesota managment ?

Old 10-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default SW Minnesota managment ?

I hunt on a 150 acre stretch of CREP with a small river running on the southern edge of it.
Not much for thick woods, but there is a little. Its mostly native grasses, flowers & small trees. These grasses are 6 to 7 feet tall an pretty thick. The deer and Turkey winter around 4 miles to the east.
With the CREP program your not allowed to plant a food plot!

What would anyone suggest for feeding deer & Turkeys?

Deer feeders (what food)?

How good are the natural foods?

Will the deer & Turkeys winter here if they had food all winter? Or do they keep there same wintering spot regardless?

Its really hard to pattern deer here because they seem to just roam in the tall grass. And they dont always bed in the same spot. Sometimes its in the woods but mostly its in the grass.

Thanks for any help,
Bird,
Old 10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SW Minnesota managment ?

I don'y know if you're allowed to do it but a suggestion that I was given for swamp hunting might help. If you can position a stand in a location where you know thare are fairly well used runs you could cut open strips with a bushhog from the stand through these runs. The deer will tend to stop at the edge of the openings and check the cut swaths out before they cross. That gives you a short period to set up for them to cross the open lanes. The open lanes give you a clear shot.

Dan O.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:28 AM

Check with you county agent & land owner of the CRP. In Minn. there are some $ incentives for the landowner to put in food plots. Speak with the landowner and he may let you put in a few plots. Also if you have some tree lines and brush along side the grassy fields that would be a great place for a plot. Some of the older CRP has grown sterile & just don't attract the wildlife much any more. I don't believe feeders are legal in Minn. So your best bet is food plots. For the food plot your best off to put in a good combo seed mix.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:51 PM

srry this is off topic but where do u live Bird Hunt Dog.. i live in Mankato
Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

I live by Marshall!