Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion >

Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion

Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion

Unless I'm mistaken, the dispersed bucks are less than a year old when they are forced out of the area.
I don't think it is correct that a deer will eat 30 or so pounds of food per day.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets discuss Deer Size - & Buck Dispersion

timbercruiser -

You are correct - average deer consume 5-8 lbs of forage per day. Of course the type of forage - causes the variation.

Assuming 7 lbs per day - that works out to about 2500 lbs/year - per deer.

I do disagree with you on the age at which the majority of dispersion occurs. While its true does will harrass their young from weaning on - most bucks (65% approx) do not leave their "home territory" to relocate until they are about 1-1/2 years old - and they are near ready to shed their velvet. Some studies show that something like 20% of dispersion does occur in the Spring - when the deer are 1 yr old. Interestingly - something like 10-15% of 2.5 year old deer also relocate in the spring.

It all makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint to minimize interbreeding - and to promote the stronger traits within a deer herd - Its still tough to lose those promising young bucks.