Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer farm?

Old 09-01-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Deer farm?

Does anyone now anything about starting a deer farm, where you try to produce a good blood line and nice deer? Is it something everyone can do, or should I just let this one go? It sounds very interesting as I came across some nice farms on the internet.

Any info would be highly appreciated!

thanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer farm?

Go to off season key in on " sunset" she has a deer farm in Ohio, maybe she can help
Old 09-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

It must not be too difficult...Everybody and their brother is raising deer around me in Ohio right now. I have 2 good friends that have over 50 between them. They're relatively cheap now too...Not like it used to be. They just buy button bucks and pour the protein to them. Their deer usually get real nice racks.

One has a couple that are 3 1/2 years old and will easily go 140.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

It must not be too difficult...Everybody and their brother is raising deer around me in Ohio right now. I have 2 good friends that have over 50 between them. They're relatively cheap now too...Not like it used to be. They just buy button bucks and pour the protein to them. Their deer usually get real nice racks.

One has a couple that are 3 1/2 years old and will easily go 140.
Yes, it would be pretty nice to have some deer. But right now my state has banned it, and the very few people that have farms here cannot move their deer out of the penned area. Not even to the vet. This is due to some "scare" about spreading CWD disease?

Oh, btw, this is very interesting, I was just talking to someone that has a deer farm close to where I live. She told me that you don't just "pour" protein to them. She said that too much protein will mess their digestive system up. She said that research has shown that 14-16% of protein in their diet is more than enough. She is feeding her bucks 20% right now and her bucks are very nice sized.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Were you able to contact "sunset" ?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RonM

Were you able to contact "sunset" ?
Hi Ron, thanks for the contact. I sent her a PM a few days ago and haven't got a reply yet. No worries, I called a lady that is more "local" and we spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes. I think I got the basic things down that I need to know for now.

Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:42 PM

Here are some pics of her deer. She has 3 bucks and 2 does at this time.

From a month ago, gonna ask for more recent pic

2nd buck

This one mysteriously jumped a 10ft fence...

Note, the oldest buck she has is 3 1/2 years old, so they are pretty nice looking!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:58 PM

sorry it took me a few days to get back with ya ir655....any other questions you have, just let me know
Old 09-03-2004, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: sunset

sorry it took me a few days to get back with ya ir655....any other questions you have, just let me know
Thanks sunset, I just read your PM. It is better for me to call my local wildlife comission to see what the regulations are. They look pretty dark for me, they have banned all deer farms here in NC. I don't know if they are going to lift it anytime soon, but the people that already have them are under heavy restrictions. Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:53 PM

Anytime ir655....
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to help you.