Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Where is everyone from?

Old 08-20-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Where is everyone from?

I can't figure out some of the posts, especially when questions come up about plantings. Sometimes knowing where a person is located can affect what kind of answer is needed. Makes me feel that nobody trusts me as to where they live. But it would help if a person would just give us a hint, such as Northern/Southern, (state). When you ask a question, you may get more accurate assistance. Does anyone else feel this way?

Russ
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Where is everyone from?

Western Missouri here with professional Ag and habitat background in 7 Midwestern states
Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 PM

You're right Russ,
Planting dates, soil conditions, annual rainfall and many other factors are determined by where a person is located.

I live on the border of Southern Maine and New Hampshire.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree - I notice alot of people leave out the info in their profile. I assume they don't want to give out too much information - but in the "city" section - you could just put "central NY" for instance.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

i'm in southern kansas. when some people are ready to plant a crop up north, it's time to harvest them down here. and vice versa, when they harvest them down south, we're planting it here.

there are other variables too, like soil conditions, annual rainfall, ph, sunlight, temps, etc. that also are a factor.

oops, had to edit that.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:22 PM

Hi guys I live near rochester ny (WNY) I hunt and plant near hear I also hunt and plant in southern erie county. Way to much rain this spring to work dirt I was not able to get started till almost 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:19 PM

Russ, I know you have been on here for quite a while and agree that it is kinda frustrating when someone asks for advice and you don't have a clue as to where they are located. The same advice does not apply for a specific crop in Florida, Canada, Texas, and Washington. It isn't necessary to know someones street address but it helps to know the state and which part. terry
Old 08-20-2004, 10:31 PM

Thanks, guys. I see that I am not alone. We may pick up a rogue now and then, but I feel that we have a great bunch of guys that are just interested in improving the habitat, hunting, and land improvement. And getting to know one another.

Russ
Old 08-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree , what works in one area might not work everywhere, I live in Delaware, the first state - I am located about 55 miles south of Philadelphia. I read that someone is planting somethign and I am thinking ours is already up or it's much too early , have no idea how long many of the growing seasons are, but it's interesting to read what other people are3 doing.... and learn about different methods , I am retired , used to seed lawns and now work for a farmer that tills over 6,000 acres and I used to farm a little myself, I sell RR corn and soybeans for them also.....
Old 08-23-2004, 07:32 AM

I'm on here off and on and try to read this site as often as I can. I try to respond to anyone from Missouri since this is my home state and I am willing to help anyone out with some of my experiences. Some times you have no ideal where some guys are from. What works in one area, don't always work somewhere else.

I own over 200 acres in beef/wildlife production with educational background in wildlife, agricultural and biology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.