Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

insecticide and rape

Old 05-27-2004, 07:43 PM

Default insecticide and rape

Planted a small plot of rape and it is growing well but it looks like some of it is being eaten by bugs. Can i spray this with an insecticide like sevin?Are there bugs in NE pennsylvania that eat rape? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:48 AM

Default RE: insecticide and rape

We have problems with slugs (at least if my memory is serving me correctly) eating our brassica. I am not sure about insecticide but I am sure someone will have the answer. I am curious as well. TGK
Old 05-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Spike

Wow.......at least something eats it. I've planted the blends with a rape or kale and the only time I had any usage was late winter when nothing else was avaliable. In the spring and summer it was pretty but not one deer was seen in the field.

Don't dare kill those bugs, it may be the only way to get rid of it.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:01 AM

I planted a 50yd. X 5ft. strip along a fenceline that borders 120 acres of 12 yr. old Pines. The sage grass in the Pines gets up to 5 ft. high, perfect cover for Turkeys and deer. I don't know which hit the Rape, but it was gone before fall. I believe the Turkeys did most of the damage, probably going for the bugs in mine and finding the Rape was good also. If this was your first planting, it might take some getting used to by the deer/Turkeys. Don't give up on Rape. I just tilled a strip, spread the seed and forgot it. It's a low maintenance plot.

Russ
Old 05-30-2004, 01:55 PM

Probably flea beetles eating it, they can really devistate a canola crop. Go to your local agriculture center and there is a chemical available for flea beetles.... Hope it does the trick.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:28 PM

When you plant rape if you planted other with it like clover that is no big deal. Had these long stripped bugs on it eating it. But all that does is draw in more food for the young poults and quail. Insect are a main diet.