Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mixing Seeds

Old 05-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mixing Seeds

I have 3 fields (1.5 ac, .5 ac, .5ac) which I want to plant with oates this spring. Do you think it would be a good idea to mix winter rye in with it, or leave it straight oates? Is there any other type of seed that I should consider to mix in?

Thanks, Rob
Old 05-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mixing Seeds

Oats are a good crop that is sometimes used to shade out weeds. I would not plant rye with oats for this reason. I would plant my oats for spring, utilize them until fall, then overseed in the fall with the rye. Not saying it wouldnt work, but to best utilize the protein of your oats I would just wait on the rye.

TexasAggieBowhunter
Certified Professional Agronomist
Old 05-05-2004, 12:40 PM

when we plant oats it is used for a cover crop, we will plant alfalfa and oats at the same time. then harvest the oats or cut the oats and bale them for bedding straw for cattle. works well.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You do not gain much planting fall rye with spring oats. Oats release a chemical that inhibits weed growth, including rye. At best the oats offer some spring food - its largely ignored by deer in the summer (same with spring planted, or wintered over rye). Fal planted "winter oats" &/or rye is a different story though.