Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 I must be shopping at the wrong place >

I must be shopping at the wrong place

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I must be shopping at the wrong place

Old 03-25-2004, 11:43 AM

Default I must be shopping at the wrong place

Everyone is saying that cost isn't much on fertilizers.

0-0-62 $8.00 for a 50# sack

0-46-0 $11.00 for a 50# sack

I am getting close to $350 that I have to spend just on fertilizer for two plots......HELP>>>>>>>
Old 03-25-2004, 03:34 PM

Default RE: I must be shopping at the wrong place

You may want to talk to a farmer friend and buy it in bulk at a local farm Coop. You should save considerably over bagged fertilizer cost. Even so, the prices are higher then last year here in Central MO. especially for N.

If you buy it in bulk, you can apply the fertilizer in a supplied fertilizer cart or have it dumped into a truck and spread it with a hand spreader of some sort.

You may need a tractor to apply it with a cart, however they do have carts with electric motors that can be pulled with a truck.

If you dump it in a truck, place plastic or water proof tarp on the truck bed and wash after emptying the truck to prevent corrisive damages to the truck bed.

Your farmer friend can tell you all the ins and out of the coop's cart use.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:57 PM

In my locale, 0-46-0 is $7.75, 50lb. Don't know about the K as my soil test came back as very high. Didn't recommend any for 3 years.

Russ
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

at my co-op, it's $5 for a 5 gallon bucket of whatever of the 3 fertilizers they have. here are the bulk prices per ton from the www.sekgrain.com website.

46-0-0 $248.14
18-46-0 $256.12
0-0-60 $153.52

you can rent a pto driven spreader for $6/ton, it holds about 15 tons of material.

i think you are paying extra because it is sacked, and it costs money to sack it. if i bought 500 lbs of 0 0 60, it would be $38. 50 lbs would be $3.80

the bulk buying savings on the P isn't as much. 500 lbs would be $64, 50 lbs would be $6.40 and that's not too far off from the $8 you pay. i think the extra money sort of has a convenience factor in the handling, transportation, and measuring of the product.

but in the big picture, if you bought it in bulk it would probably cost you $275~$300, but then you have the pain in the azz factor of transporting it since it's loose.

spend the $350 and start the work. this fall, the extra $50 bucks or so won't really matter.