Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Roundup or Generic Brand?

Old 03-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roundup or Generic Brand?

Many of you use herbicides to kill grass and weeds before creating your plots. Roundup seems to be the standard when it comes to weed control. I had read a while ago of a "generic" brand that had the same ingredients as Roundup, but was considerably cheaper. Do any of you use generic brands with good results? What is the name of the product?

Also, I was looking at the Roundup which you mix several ounces of it with water and apply instead of the premixed stuff. Is there any difference between the two as far as strength or results?

Thanks again for the info!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Roundup or Generic Brand?

I like to use Mirage. It's about 1/3 the price of Round Up and has the exact same active ingredients. I pay about $30 per gallon and buy in the 2.5 gallon container. Please note this is compared to Original Round Up not the Weather Master or Ultra which is even more expensive. I mix at about the rate of 2oz per gallon of water plus a sufficant at about 6oz per 15 gallons. This will cover about one acre at 4 MPH on an ATV with a boom sprayer. Hope this helps you out. Kills everything we have here in western NY. Can't ask for much better in my opinion. TGK
Old 03-06-2004, 08:33 AM

The active ingredient in most herbicides are the same...check the ingredients list with the percentages. I found that there was a product at Home Depot that was an offbrand that was cheaper for the percentage activity and it works great.....I know this is a dumb statement but don't spray it on an existing plot.....Use Poast or Vantage types of products to take weeds out of the plots.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Surfacants are used in some of the herbicides. This will allow a higher degree of "mixing/application" on a whole due to a reduction of surface tention of the water.
The good thing with the Round-Up Pro Dry is the surfacant is already in the product. This gives the ability to mix to a greater/lesser concentration if needed.
Most of the herbicides require at least a 1.5 % to water mix to be effective. Often times when the 1.5 % mix is figured out between the products the price difference in almost negligable. especially if surfacant has to be added.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Most glyphosate herbicides are primarily the same. Some have a surfactant some dont. Personally I use RoundUp and still add a surfactant to it regardless if it has one in it. The only surfactant I use is Joy dish soap. About a tablespoon, it goes a long ways. Honestly I see no difference in any of the generic glyphosates. The only thing I might mention is if you have certified seed produced by a specific seed company, (most common in farming) they want you to use their product, using something other will void their guarantee.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:17 AM

texasaggie,

Is that one Tablespoon per gallon or is it per what?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

per gallon
Old 03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

the generic 41% glyphosates around here are $40 per gallon and about $90 for 2.5 gallons. some have surfactants and some don't. surfactant is so cheap that it's not worth your time to wonder if you should add some or not, just add it.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:10 AM

Stone...Please do not say Poast and Vantage are post grass materials....Poast is selective to grass and is not closely or in any way related to Vantagge..Vantage is a generic form of ROUNDUP.....be carefull in any chemical situation to read labels and look at the active ingredient name.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:31 AM

once again you are wrong wooddust. the vantage name we are talking about is a grass specific herb marketed for the WI by mansanto. it is not a generic form of roundup.

Quick Reply: Roundup or Generic Brand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.