Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

LabLab or Powerpack?

Old 03-13-2004, 08:13 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default LabLab or Powerpack?

Anyone ever use either of these products? If so, what kind of luck or lack thereof have you had with them?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 AM

Default RE: LabLab or Powerpack?

I have asked about the Lab Lab and the Lab Lab Plus for the past six months but it seems that no one has tried it on this board. I will be planting some this year but what I have been told it is best to use some type of border like the plot saver fence or white plastic bags on string.

If you don't plant clover you are not part of the click on this board....LOL
Old 03-14-2004, 05:21 PM

I know for a fact that a hunt camp I used to belong to used LabLab among other things. The turkeys and deer did not let it grow. They mowed down whatever broke the surface.
This camp was in central Virginia
Old 03-14-2004, 07:44 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

For the record, I have planted clovers, corn and soybeans as foodplots over the years, but the story about LabLab and the PowerPack, which has a little of everything has me intrigued. Maybe the fact that up north the use of these products hasn't been wide enough to have many user reports.

The fact that it was eaten to the ground by the deer is also somewhat intriguing to me. Might be worth a try!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:33 PM

I will be planting some this year but what I have been told it is best to use some type of border like the plot saver fence or white plastic bags on string.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

"If you don't plant clover you are not part of the click on this board....LOL"
Most of the guys on this board recognize the importance of a strong perinnial base in the majority of your plantings. At the same time, there are many "northern" people who post on this site. On northern properties, clover is arguably about the best perrinial base to add to just about any planting, or as a stand alone 3 season crop.

I would suggest that in any planting you perform, especially on the limited acreage you have suggested, some type of perrinial should be added as a base to your plantings. Clover, or whatever perrinial you may add, will give your planting an entire 4 season draw. Basically, the more you keep your deer on your property, year-round, the more success you will have during deer season. At the same time, it only takes 1% of the total land to make a difference in herd health, so establishing a food plot planting variety that incorporates a 4 season nutrition source with a targeted fall attractant can be very successful.

I actually will plant about 60% of my plots during the late summer, with all of the plantings targeting a particular fall attractant, but when the summer of 2005 roles around, about 90% of my plantings will have clover growing in them because of the perrinial base to my late summer plantings. The only plantings that won't include clover will be trail systems in which I only want a summer nutrition source so that human/deer contacts can be kept to a minimum during the hunting season.

Again, it may be more appropriate for you to offer another type of perrinial as a base to your plantings, but consider the benifits of offering a 4 season blend, with a targeted fall forage.