Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

pallable Yard grasses?????

Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Spike

Default pallable Yard grasses?????

Hi everyone, first I live in southern MS and I have recently had about 2 acres of land cleared for the future area where I will build my house. I am planing on planting clovers but I want to mix them with something to control erosion until the clovers have gotten established. I have done a soil test and I am bringing in lime and fertilizer for planting white clovers. It is very hot where I live and I don't think rye grass will work. Does anyone know of anything else I could use that will still be good for the wildlife until my clovers take hold. Thanks in Advance for any info. Gabe
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 PM

Default RE: pallable Yard grasses?????

I'm not too familiar with southern MS agriculture, but what about wheat? Or possibly orchard grass if you want something more permanent. Switchgrass can be effective at erosion control but from my experience would probably choke out your clover. I know that doesn't really answer your question but maybe it will get the ball rolling.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: pallable Yard grasses?????

The ladino clovers are not what you want for erosion control. They are short lived and shallow rooted. You need some Trefoil mixed in. The is deep rooted and should live over 20 years or more if taken care of.