Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 The 150 yard bow >

The 150 yard bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The 150 yard bow

Old 03-27-2004, 01:21 PM

Default The 150 yard bow

Bow and Arrow mag has an interesting article on shooting out to 150 yards. It's mostly a practice thing, but it does leak into long range hunting also.

Has this been discussed yet? What thread?

What is the sight with the best chance at doing 10 pins as in the article? Tropy taker has a 7 pin sight. In the article one of the sights is a fixed pin custom, and the other is a moveable pin Lethal weapon. The rest of the gear is pretty much standard.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The 150 yard bow

Ossage,

Haven't seen the article you're talking about.
In the past I practiced out to 120 yards with my Accu-Riser I.
I easily got the yardage needed out of my HTM Long Range Dominator sight with more to spare.
It is lots of fun and I can usually get all 6 arrows, I practiced with, in the target bag at that distance.
If I miss, the arrow is slowing and dropping down so much at that distance that I don't have to worry about it slipping beneith the grass and losing it.
I don't shoot at game beyond 30 yards because of the energy loss and slower speeds.

Sag.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I did it. Its the maximum distance we can shoot at the club outdoor range. Standing back to the clubhouse and the target at the end of the field against the slope.
I used to shoot at a foamblock sized 15 X 20 but, to be honest, i was happy to hit it 3 out of 6 arrows. My one time record was 4 out of 6 which happend only 1 time. The reason i did it was getting ride of the left/right faults, i didnt know where they came from.[:'(]
It was a amazing thing to see the arrows fly for such a long time and when the foamblock moved a bit on impact was nice to see to.

Lately i do the left/right practice on a piece of rope hanging vertical over the target.

Hunting is something i do on close range, 3d goes up to 80 yards as well as field and targets.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Some of the 3D shoots I've been to have a 100 target. It's usually of a standing bear or something. Kind of like a turkey shoot. Pay 5 bucks, launch a couple arrows, the highest score gets half the pot. In my yard, I could shoot about 150 yards if I wanted too, but I don't. Maybe I will sometime, but like others have said, my hunting is a close range thing.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmmm,just got finished reading the same article the other day and couldent believe they were practicing consistantly at 120 to 150 yards away.Said it makes close shots real easy.Kobrine states that when you practice at 120 meters and step to 100,the shot looks easy.Longer ranges forces you to fine tune your form and equipment.If you can shoot tight groups at long range,you will be that much better at close in.And i thought archery was a close range sport of 30 to maybe 40 yards.Man i got to keep practicing
Old 03-29-2004, 12:26 PM

I read this as well. Pretty cool to have them get that far out. I've never shot past 50 (on purpose) myself but have given some though to the longer ranges after reading it.

As for sights...I had the same question and have been thinking. Seems like the old style Fred Bear or Martin sights with the flat plate, two cutouts for pins and about 6-7" long would work. You'd have to find smaller diameter pins but with the speed of todays bows and the smaller smaller pins compared to those of the early 70's you could fashion one pretty readily. Something like these maybe?...