Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Protecting Hardwood seedings?

Old 02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Protecting Hardwood seedings?

I've planted pine/spruce seedlings several years now, this is the first year I plan to plant some Hardwood (oaks & birch). These seedlings are 2-0, and likely small. I will be planting in a section of old field.

I've been researching, and was looking into Tubex tree shelters - but I'm not really keen on the $3.00-4.00 each price tag for 5 ft tree shelters - even though I'm only planting 50 or so trees this sring. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I'm considering trying chicken wire (4ft) with a stake for each tree. Also I'm considering NO Protection.

I plan to use wood chip mulch in 3 ft diameter for weed control (Thanks Dan O.).

I'm curious if anyone has some cost effective ideas for tree protection?

Lastly, I've read that some people plant "nurse trees" in with the oaks. I plan to plant every other tree White Birch - Then White Oak - I think 10 ft apart. The plan is that the birch will grow quickly compared to the oak - Help keep the trees growing straight up, then eventually be culled out. Does this plan make sense to anyone??

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Default RE: Protecting Hardwood seedings?

Farm hunter, I've used empty 64oz plastic (Clear) juice bottles on my seedlings on our tree farm. Just cut off the top and bottom and put it over the seedling. Push it into the ground a little then push some dirt around the outside. It helps keep rabbits, mice from nibbling at the bark.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:23 PM

White oaks are very slow growing and may get to much shade from the faster growing birch? Also birch like to grow in a wetter type of area than due oaks. I would plant white pine as a nurse tree with the white oak
Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unless you are very young I would try Sawtooth Oaks, if you are wanting acorns to hunt close to. Also the eventual 20 foot spacing for the oaks is too close, they would probably need close to 35 or 40 feet of space.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

FH, have you considered Beechnut trees?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the ideas - I like the Juice bottle Idea when they are young.

I did want to mention that I wanted white oaks, maybe not for me as much as for my son, and my cousin's children that own the adoining piece of land. I considered Sawtooth but decided against an exotic. In 30 years I'll be about 65 - retirement age and maybe I'll be able to enjoy the "oak stand", hopefully for at least a few years??

Lunchbucket, I did consider Beech, in fact on the 180 acres, about 40 acres is field that has been turning into woods since the mid 1960s. In this young woods are many beech whips - from 5-7 ft tall. I'm considering transplanting about 20 of them to a small section of the 20 acre field. I'm a little concerned that they will not grow well in the field environment - it seems they grow pretty well in the shade of aspen, ash maple, and cherry.

If my hardwood seedings do not do well, I will look to transplant to different sections, Apple, Maple and maybe Cherry - from the woods as well.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

farm hunter; if you really want to keep the cost down, fill the 1-2 liter pop bottles (clear preferred) with planting soil. Plant the acorns/seeds in these and grow them through until the fall. They will then plant out with a good root ball and you can then use the pop bottle as a grow tube.

Timbercruiser is absolutely correct about final spacing. I just like to over plant to take care of the ones that die off, to let me select the best trees and to help kill off the grass by getting quicker shade.

Dan O.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:01 AM

if it is possible you can put up a electric ribbon fence. It will be deer proof and your seedlings will have a chance at becoming trees.here is what I did this last spring

here is what it will look like in 5 years

the critters love it after you take the fence down