Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Getting Started

Old 02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting Started

I'm planning on starting some food plots this spring. I have three plots on one piece of land that are around a 1/3 of an acre a piece. The other plot on a diff. piece of land is a little over an acre. All 4 spots are tall weeds and briers right now. We're planning on chopping it all down, burning it (weather permitting), give it a good dose of roundup. Spread the suggest lime from the soil test and till it in. I would like to plant a little bit of corn on the three plot piece of property. I don't want to plant it all in it though. Just something to get the deer coming there. With the remaining land we are planning on keeping the weeds off of it over the summer than in early fall we're planning on planting a couple different types of clover, some brassicas, and rape. Does this sound like a good plan? If someone can offer me some tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it since this is my first time planting food plots. Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Getting Started

Sounds like you are on the right track. Your clover, brassica, rape idea is good for all the plots but you don't have to wait til fall. You will get the most forage if you plant in the spring. By the time hunting season rolls around the rape and brassica will be nearly 2 foot tall (with idea growing conditions) and enable your deer a year round food source. Plus, you will have a great honey hole! Corn is ok but lacks in nutritional value for the deer. It's a decent attractand but so are the other crops you mentioned. TGK
Old 02-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

But will the soil be ready to plant the clover, rape, and brassica in the spring? I know we'll have the seed bed prepared but the PH isn't good yet.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 AM

What is the PH? If it's below 6 you could try using the biologic PHfertalizer as it is a quick acting lime fert. mix (doesna't last a long time but gives a good PH spike). We have had great luck with it when we need a quick PH jump. It should last about 6 months which by that time your ph should be rising from your normal lime application. TGK
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much does that stuff run? Most thing with "Biologic" on them are outrageously over priced.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 AM

It's about $8-10 for 40 lbs. There are also some similar products by Scotts and a few others but I have not tried them and don't know the cost. Sorry. TGK
Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 AM

Forgot to ask again, what is the PH?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Between 4.7-5.5 for all three 4 porjected plots.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:04 AM

5.5 should be pretty easy to fix but the 4.7 will abviously be a little tough. You could always stagger your plantings til you have the right levels as the 4.7 will obviously take longer to achieve an optimum level. I would still try the PH fertalizer. Another lime option that will work into the soil faster is powdered stuff instead of pelleted. Messy but it works a little faster from what I understand. Good luck. TGK
Old 02-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you have a pretty good plan. I think the fall planting is a good idea - lets you get ammendments added and cut/destroy existing plants. When planting in the fall weed competition is the lowest and conditions are usually favorable (not too wet, not too hot, not too dry, etc.). Late summer/early fall is the ideal time for no-till seedings (in NY). Spring is good also, but weed competion is aweful high.

Quick Reply: Getting Started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.