Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2002, 10:38 PM

Default I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was off one of the other topics on here but I decided after I posted it that I wanted to put it on here. Here it is.

Okay everyone, I really really need some advice here. My friend and I have decided to plant food plots. We were wondering what is the best seed for the climate in the south western part of Pennsylvania. What brand of seeds works the best? What type of plants are in these seeds? Do you have to re plant them every year or will they grow back? We want something that will REALLY help out the deer herd. We are looking to spend the least amount we can without sacrificing quality. We have three spots in mind to plant. One is a spot in the woods that is a LONG trail which is rougly 10 yards wide which gets a lot of sun light. What type of seed would work in the woods? The ground is pretty good and ferns grow there. Can you plant a food plot in the woods? The other spot is in the field behind my house. It is rougly 3 acres and it has about six apple trees and three chesnut trees on the edges of it. Deer are constantly feeding there and we would like them to have more food. Like I said, money really isn't a problem but we don't want to spend a fortune. We are looking in the 100-200 dollar range. I REALLY need some help on this. The Tecomate seed seems to be very good for growing the deers bodies and antlers larger but would it work in this climate? I have also been looking at the Mossy Oak Bio Logic seeds? Which of their seeds works best? This plot will be visited by deer and turkey. I had put out a Bio Logic mineral lick this year but the deer never really used it, is this the case with there seeds too? Please, ANY help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry about the length, I just REALLY want to help out the herd around here. We have some 120-140 class bucks left and I want these BRUISERS to be better off. O yeah, I almost forgot, how long does it take for there to be a difference in the body size and antler size of the deer? 2 or 3 years? Thanks.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-05-2002, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your on the right track. However, $200.00 will have to be stretched to do the amount of area you are suggesting. Lime, seed and fertilizer cost.
The opinion on seed products will vary. The best thing to do is to first do soil samples on each areas to be planted. This will give the ph values for each and will define the soil types. Until you do the samples your in the failure mode, no matter which product you decide to plant. The type of soil will determine which type of seed/product will work for you. There is no magic seed/bean. After we find out your soil make up and ph value then you may proceed with fallowing the ground/ limeing and so on... At least half of you plots, in a forage like alfalfa or clover, is desireable. It is best to have a buffet of different products then choose the prodcuct that seems to have the best results. If you have an extremely difficult soil, it may take a few years to lime and plant buckwheat and rye grasses to add some humus to the area so a quality crop may expect a lesser mortality rate. Just don't be in a hurry to fail... Because one type of product has not worked for someone it dosen't mean it will not work for you.
Contact the different seed sales folks and start reading the info. This board, and others like it, will provide a great wealth of info... Use it.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:30 AM

Thank you for the info. I will definatly take it into consideration. I have another question though, there are cornfields on the other side of the woods from where I am going to plant this plot at and the woods are nothing but white oaks, will the deer visit this plot, or would it be best to find a plot that isn't as close to food that is already in the area?

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

A lone food plot will always do better but if you have a better mouse trap it will do better. Corn is not high in nutrient, so if you did some forage type plots you should see an increase coming to your property...
Old 01-06-2002, 05:16 PM

Like LB said you will have to stretch it out financially to buy seed and proper lime and fertilizer but it is the right thing to do. We are located in Northeastern Pennsylvania and are having great results with the way Imperial Brand Whitetail Clover is responding to our weather conditions. Deer love It. It comes up in April Goes dormant late october early november, Gets burried under snow, not this year until tonight and comes back strong in the spring. We mow it roughly 3 times in the summer and give proper lime recomendations according to soil tests. also a shot of fertilizer in the spring adds a nice boost from winter. we are getting 3 to 5 years from one planting with this type of up keep. Is it worth it? We think we are holding more deer and turkey on our lease than in years without them. I think Imperial will do you good out there as well. It is a proven winner out here. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:41 PM

Check around with local deer hunting organizations. Some here in our neck of the woods give seed away for food plots. Good luck
Old 01-08-2002, 11:12 PM

I can't help you with the correct type of seed to plant in pennsylvania but I can tell you that if you're trying to stretch your money then you need to stay away from the game seed blends. The game mixes are just the same thing that you can get at your local co-op for about 1/4 the price. Get with some of the local county extension agents, seed store or co-op guys. They can give you a lot of good advice and save you a lot of money over using the expensive game seed mixes.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:43 PM

HMMMMMMMmmm....... Only $200 for 3 acres?

Do you have any farming activities nearby? What corps do they plant. Remember you will have to compete with them.

As to what to plant? Many farm supply stores sell New Zealand Clover, the main ingrediant in many "patent deer foods", for a fraction of what you will pay for them.

Late summer of 2000, I planted a trial plot of WhiteTail Clover, with the one side being the New Zealand Clover, and the deer eat them equally.

Landino Clover is also another GOOD clover, and much lower cost than the "patent foods".

Clovers will not do well in a section only 10 yards wide between trees. I have some planted between trees, and get very little growth within 5 - 8 yards of the trees.

One thing I planted, was BioLogic Full Draw, and in the 2 locations I planted it, the deer pay no attention to it, and go for only the clover plots.

If you have a 2 - 3 acre area, really a nice size plot, I would suggest that you plant part of it in soy beans for the protene, and for crop rotation. Your clovers will need to be replanted every few years, and it will be good to rotate the plots.

When mowing your plots, make sure that you mow them at a time that you will have seveal inches of growth throughout the winter, as now the deer are pawing thru the snow to get to my clover plot.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:05 PM

keep it simple. do strips and spots leave some "safe cover"