Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

need help on what to plant

Old 01-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Spike

Default need help on what to plant

we hunt in jacksboro texas its north central texas and i was wandering what toplant to attract and hold the deer on our place no one around us has any thing planted any help appreciated
Old 01-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help on what to plant

You could call your county farm extenion agent to find what grows good in your area ,What is drouth resistant and grows good.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:30 PM

I'm in central Minn and want to plant sorgum or millet for the deer. I think they willbe good because they reach above the snow for some depth and can be included in plot planting without extra equipment to plant. Anyone have info on which will be best.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:33 PM

i am hunting in comanche and know a guy that hunts in jacksboro. i asked this question in the "south" forum and someone said that they used tecomate in fredricksburg and it didnt work. i think i am going to try whitetail institute's imperial whitetail clover this spring and see if it will come up for next year.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Before you plant anything, do some soil samples on every plot you intend to plant. How much rainfall and the type of soil you have will dictate what you may or may not plant. You may have to prep the soil this spring/summer for a winter planting. Whatever you do, do not be in a hurry to fail.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:59 PM

they use lablab at the tecomate ranch in texas so try that i bet it would work wonders
Old 01-13-2002, 08:22 AM

We are managing 900 acres of deer and bear habitat and have used imperial whitetial clover with mixed results. Grasses overpowering it are one problem. Not getting good germinatin is another. and third is it is not growning any better than local clover mixtures. I'm not sure it is worth the price. Try you local farm store clover first.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:19 AM

I am new to this forum. I own a whitetail hunting club in southern illinois. We plant biologic,ladino clover,rack master clover, millet, alfalfa, cowpeas, rye grass, corn. You need to fertilize for best results. No matter how many different things you plant one thing will come up better then another from year to year. Its better if you plant in the spring and fall for best results.
Old 01-13-2002, 06:39 PM

Outfitter ... how has your millet done? I want to try it in MN but don't know if it will survive in the winter environment. Also will the deer eat it or is it just a bird food, like in pheasant?
Old 01-13-2002, 09:27 PM

Oaktree the first year we planted the millet it didnt do very well and the deer didnt use it at all, this year the millet came up really good and i did notice the deer did use it . I prefer the alfala and the clover my self. We have a waterfowl hunting club and we have been planting millet for the waterfowl for several years and it has done really good in the winter.