Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best red briar killer

Old 02-10-2004, 06:30 PM

Default RE: Best red briar killer

http://www.dowagro.com/theranch/products.htm
Old 02-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

We suggest Round Up in a concentrate form like 20%. That may be accomplished with the Round-Up Pro Dry...
Old 02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

mulyi-flora rose
Today I took the snowmobile threw the property to cut a bunch of browse and pack down some trails. On the land is a 3 acre field with mulyi-flora rose bushes choking up one corner of it. While riding threw the field I kicked up at least a dozen deer browsing on the stuff.

Just thought I'd pass on the info for what it's worth.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:40 PM

This is not multiflora rose. It is like what FarmHunter has described. I thought about spraying. I want to plant some food plots and need these ripping things out of the way. I do not want to clear the whole property of them though. They are excellent cover and I think this will attract the deer especially when hunting pressure is high. Thanks to all of you.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:28 PM
SAK

The best non-selective, basal bark application treatment would be a mixture used by tree contractors by your local power company. It consists of Tordon, and stalker and will control any vegetation as long as you apply it completely around the base of the bark of the undesirable species you are trying to control. It is non-selective so it will kill any and all vegetation that it is applied to. You do need a license, but it is very effective.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:58 PM

SAK...that product for bark treatments is not Tordon and does not have tordon in it...its actoive ingredient is triclopyr...same as in Crossbow and Garlon. In Ohio, he can buy Crossbow and do a diesel and basal bark application.

Tordon is not effective as a basal bark application.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:45 PM

Is Garlon 3A labeled for use in OH? If so, I would think that it would be effective - but costly. If it will take out Sericea, then it should kill anything!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:15 PM

Has anyone used 2-4D, I've been told if it is sprayed on the leaves it will take out those briar bushes.
Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 05:04 PM
SAK

Rack Rack,

Don't want to mince words or start a war but I am looking at the product label of ingedients in our basal bark oil and it most certainly contains Tordon K. It really doesn't matter, you have to agree it is VERY effective on multi-flora rose.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 PM

We have what we affectionately call "red rippers" - they really establish in open fields after a crop like corn - (2-4 years). They are a Blackberry Species, I think - the stems are a ruby red. I've never tried to properly identify the species
As I have previously stated, these "briars" are NOT multi-flora rose. But I figure if a chemical will kill Multi-flora, it will kill anything. Than you all for your response.

OhioDuckHunter

Quick Reply: Best red briar killer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.