Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best food plot for SE WI

Old 12-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best food plot for SE WI

Hello all,

I have a 7 acre wooded parcel surrounded by another 30 acres of oak hardwoods. This land is bordered by approx. 300 acres of corn fields. I have a section approximately 3/4 acre that I would like to plant a crop that will bring more deer in. I would also like to plant some type of clover or other food on all of my logging roads/Atv trails. I also have numerous apple trees on my property.

What would be the best attractant and is it better to plant in spring or fall. I live in southeast Wisconsin and have good soil with several inches of topsoil. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also plant to put in a pond approximately 75 yards from the food plot.

Thanks,

Cybersniper
Old 12-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best food plot for SE WI

where in SE WI????

First get some soil samples. In a clean bucket mix 6-10 clean core samples from about 6" depth, from different areas of the field/plot. You can pick up soil sample forms and bags from the county extension office. I got mine At the Waukesha county courthouse. You put about 2 cups in the sample bag and return in to the extension office. Fill out the form as a farmer would, as if you were to put alfalfa in for a 4 year rotation and expecting about a 3 ton annual yield.

One general soil sample test is $11.50. the report mailed to you will tell you soil PH, ammount of lime recommended to increase to soil ph to 6.8, and the phosphorus and potassium requirements. This is just a guide to help get soil in the best quality to grow the best tasteing deer attractant.

The goal is to make your plots taste better than the farmers you are competing with. It all starts with the soil. What you plant depends on can depend on what time of year you want to attract the deer. Winter rye, wheat, oats planted in september for a fall, spring attractant. Clovers planted in spring for a year round draw. On small plots soybeans or corn could be over browsed and destroyed. Will you be planting annually or a prennial field that will last several years.? Your equiptment available for prepping and maintaining the plots is a factor too. Mowing a clover patch 3 times per year helps control weeds.

My Waukesha soil has a PH of 6.4, and recommend 2.5 ton/acre of lime, 65 lbs Phosphorus and 175 lbs Potassium per acre. Personally, since I'm not planting alphalfa, I will be adding only a little high magnesium lime to the clover plots, and about 75% of the recommended P and K.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks 1sagittarius,

I am in Mukwonago. I do the soil test at the courthouse. I had hear the Biologic stuff was good but the guy wasn't sure which blend. After I get the soil prepared I guess I will have to decide which type of food to go with.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

By the way, where around here do you buy your seed from. It sounds like you really know your sh$#.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't been there yet, but I want to stop into Horn Feeds to see what they have for seed, lime, fertilizer.

Horn Feeds
728 Clarendon
Mukwonago, WI 53149
262-363-7116

Otherwise I may mail order what I want. Biologic is a mix of brasicas (rapes, turnips, kale) and can be hit or miss. Biologic type mixes tend to work better when planted mid to late summer for a Fall - early winter attractant. Save a bunch of $$ and don't buy the commercial deer seed mixes.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Before you buy anything, do soil samples. This will tell you what you must do to make a choice and have a chance at growth.