Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

new game ranch

Old 08-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Spike

Default new game ranch

Hello fellow hunters. I'm new to the forums although I've come across them a few times throughout the years. Before I ask my question I'd like to start with greeting y'all and hoping that you are all doing well.

To put it mildly I've found that most agricultural business are struggling in recent times. Many only surviving through hunting. My family is no exception. We currently lease 3400 of our 4100 acres to hunters. I am considering changing things up. I can't afford to high fence the perimeter. And I refuse to take a loan against the land. This ranch has been in the family for nearly 100 years. I would like to keep it that way until I can't anymore. That said. I'm considering bringing in exotics of some sort that will be less prone to jumping a fence. I plan to keep at least 700 of my sheep and 150 cows.

I'm located deep in the heart of Texas and it gets flat hot here. Currently reaching 105.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Spike

in need of help staring up. If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated
Old 08-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally I would suggest maybe talking to your local game warden, and ask them for some tips/suggestions and well, maybe steer you to some pre existing ranches that have what your thinking about adding to your's and get some first hand information on things to do, NOT do, and save yourself some growing plains maybe
a LOT of ranches in TX have these things anymore
I poersonally am NOT a big fan of adding NON wild animals to places, but , that's me!
Old 08-16-2019, 03:28 AM
Spike

I appreciate your input. I'll look around and maybe talk to some other ranches and outfitters.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think exotics are the money maker they once were, especially since they have become so common. Also keep in mind any changes to land use can affect property tax values.

With 4100 acres properly managed, if it is all in one general location, you can exercise enough control over your deer herd to provide some management without a high fence.