Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
First Food Plot for Turkeys, transition to Deer >

First Food Plot for Turkeys, transition to Deer

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

First Food Plot for Turkeys, transition to Deer

Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default First Food Plot for Turkeys, transition to Deer

Hello,

I am a new hunter in South Central VA. I am interested in starting a small food plot in a spot I have on my hunting lease. Some photos below.

That is a port-a-potty stand elevated 3 feet of the ground in the background. As you can see this is a small area and line of sight extends another 30 yards behind the first photo. The second photo is taken from inside the blind. These were taken in June prior to me limbing the pines for added visibility.

Does it make any sense for me to start a small food plot here? The area is surrounded by pines, a creek, and hardwoods.

A Field & Stream article mentions growing wheat/buckwheat planted in the next few weeks for turkey hunting. They say to start a month before the season but their season must start later than Virginia, which is early April, as buckwheat is quite frost sensitive I have read.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...te-turkey-plot

I also have access to another spot I could do something like this with in a log deck in cutover. It is about 200 yards up a steep hill from a creek/stream/river about 75 yards wide.

Here is an overhead of where the port-a-potty stand is located:

And here is a path I can also use. I marked in a red a 40 ft x 40 ft log deck about 200 yards and 50 feet of elevation from the creek/watershed, and in orange two additional spots however these will see some additional vehicle traffic from other club members.

Do you recommend either spot? Is there any harm done if all I get to do this season is start spraying Gly and removing weeds, and as I get more equipment starting a food plot, or if it is low probability of doing a food plot this year would I be better off leaving the weeds in place for another 6-12 months?

Last edited by Doc7; 02-17-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you describe the soil in the area you are planning on doing the plot? Is it sand, loam, or clay? Fairly deep? Rocky? Let the soil pick the location of the plot, then place you stand accordingly.

The one other concern I would have is the amount of available sunlight. It looks like it gets decent direct sunlight, but generally the more light you can get to it, the better off you will be. Wouldn't take much, just remove some of those smaller trees to open it up just a little more.

I would skip any type of control measures until you are close to time to planting your plot. If you aren't going to get your plot in for another 6-12 months, then I would wait. If you spray it or plow it now, weeds will take over and you'll have to do it again when you get ready to do your plot, or keep trying to keep it clear, which I would not recommend.

If you do not have a suitable location for a food plot, or even if you do, try to figure out what the turkeys and deer are doing on the property. If they are eating something naturally occurring, you may find it more beneficial to try to manage for that particular plant species.

It is too hot and dry in my area for buckwheat, so I can't tell you much there. If you plant wheat, go for a beardless variety if possible. Everything seems to like it better, even before it heads out. When it does head out, since it doesn't have awns, both deer and turkey will continue to eat it as it matures. I've tried to grow it some here, but the abundance of wild hogs makes it unprofitable for me to try to do so.