Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot ideas

Old 12-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Spike

Default food plot ideas

I live in Minnesota i am interested in doing a food plot next yr

I was wondering what is a good plot what one attracts bucks. What ones are good for winter. All yr around how big should a food plot be
Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no clue what crops will do well up that way. Here is 40+ years of experience in SE Al. I found good information on the Auburn U. website related to wildlife management in Al. and what varieties of food plot crop should do well where I hunt. The info was spot on. I also used the Ag. Extension Agency info. Check out what you can find on the state's ag university. For sure once you decide where you are going to plant, have the soil tested for the crops you plan to try and follow those results as best you can.

As for size .... an acre plot will do fine. Be aware that you'd best plant enough total acreage to prevent decimation. Too little area of food plot for the deer population hanging around will likely result in not much being left after a few weeks' growth. Long and narrow seems better than square or round. The deer around here like to stay around the edges so they can get off the field quickly should they spook.

Deer like a mix rather than a single crop. I have found that a perennial clover, though sort of expensive initially, if a variety can survive up that way, sure is a good way to go for year round. You can keep the weeds out with a selective herbicide. I am guessing, but root crops such as turnips, radishes, beets might be a good plot crop as well. And ... I hunted several times in eastern Montana. The deer were all over about every alfalfa field I saw. So that may be a good crop.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Spike

The turnips will supply a winterfood provide as animals dig the bulbs and eat them during winter.