Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Management help

Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 AM
Spike

Default Deer Management help

I recently purchased 124 acres off my girlfriends grandfather it's mostly crop fields but it has 22 acres of woods on it I'm wondering if there's any way I can mange the deer on it and help build a better herd of deer there's three stands already placed on it and while I was scouting it after I bought it I found several good areas for food plots I'm just looking to get some input on if it would be worth it or not

Last edited by Daniel72; 11-22-2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Found a miss spelling in it
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are lots of things you can do and if you are not planning to farm or lease the farmland to a farmer you can not only use the land for food plots on the edge of the woods but you could put in some fast growing pines for thermal and hiding cover. You don't say what kind of trees the woods is or if it is mature trees, you could contact a forester for some info on how to manage the woods for trees and shrubs that deer like. I wish I had 122 acres to work with. There are people here who already manage their land for wildlife but I suggest you give them more info about the woods and land so they can help.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Spike

I don't really know how to tell different types of trees but I know they are all mature and there's a 15 acre field that's on the same side of the road as the woods that I plan on planting some trees on I have a picture of the land but I can't figure out how to upload it
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they are on your computer sign up to photo bucket and transfer the pics to it then attach and send here. You will have to be able to ID trees or get a knowledgeable person to do it for you and learn from them. You have to know deers preferred foods before you manage the woods, which trees to keep to produce food and which shrubs deer like and which trees you want to help reproduce for both browse and acorns etc. Part of the reward of managing a piece of land is what you learn about wildlife while doing it.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Spike

I just called one of my buddy's who works for the dnr forestry department and he said he'd come out and show me how to ID trees next week so that should be a good starting point for me. Would cutting the fallen trees help anything I have a lot of down trees in the woods from a storm that went through this summer
Old 11-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Having your buddy who works for dnr view your land and teach you how to ID trees and shrubs will be a great resource for you. If your woods is a big downed trees tangle you might want to clean it up some, but I wouldn't make it so cleaned up it looks manicured, downed trees are part of the habitat. You may want to ask your friend to recommend some leaf, bud and bark reference books and a leaf and bud key that you can use to teach yourself. Sounds like you are going to have some fun managing your land.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Spike

I'm hoping to have a blast managing it. I plan on going out tomorrow while I'm at work and take soil samples from the spots I have in mind to put plots so I can get them sent in and back so I can start doing fertilizer and lime recs at work. Do you happen to know if putting any 28% on a plot while its growing would help or hurt it any?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know and I would wait till your soil samples come back and then ask either your buddy or the farm extension office for advice on what and how much to use and when to apply. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Spike

I work at a fertilizer plant so I'll do my fert and lime recs I just didn't know if anyone has used 28% on it
Old 11-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just the way I do it. I don't put out mono culture plots. I step my planting from the forest edge out. I start out with thickets and bushes, then high weeds, then my actually food plot.

It is a multi year project and is rewarding for me. I think small instead of big and plant different plots in likely spots.

I plant for a variety of game and think of cover a much as I do food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.