Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Another Deer Ratio Question

Old 10-16-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Another Deer Ratio Question

I am familiar with the 1:1 and 1:2 ratio rule of thumb.

The area I hunt has only recently (last 10 years) begun to have a huntable population of deer. I have taken a mature buck the last two years and plan to continue to take mature bucks only. In the course of hunting 2 days over the last two years and a couple of days earlier this fall (archery), I have seen 7 bucks and 7 does that I can remember. While I suspect there are some I haven' t seen, the country is prairie land and pretty open except for a few areas of brushy type cover. Food and water don' t seem to be a problem although the cover is a little scant I suspect.

Honestly, I am concerned to take any does as I am not sure the herd is established yet. Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another Deer Ratio Question

Your statement of hunting less than 10 days in the last three years and the low deer count you witnessed would indicate that you do not have enough information to make a judgement. Seeing a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio in a limited hunting time in the field would seem to indicate that you might want to let the doe' s walk for the time being until more data is aquired.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:56 PM

Default RE: Another Deer Ratio Question

Thanks. I' ll keep looking.