Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
kill weeds without roundup or a burn???? >

kill weeds without roundup or a burn????

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

kill weeds without roundup or a burn????

Old 07-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default kill weeds without roundup or a burn????

We were just told at our deer lease that we cannot spray or burn our field for our food plot, we have used roundup the last 5 years with success but the land owner is afraid the horses might consume the chemicals. Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Vinegar works at killing grass. A big tarp staked out on top of the grass for a week or so also kills it.
Plow it under and keep the soil worked up also gets rid of it.

Al
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

i don't burn or use Roundup. My plots are brush hogged a couple times during the summer. About 1 September the plots are either no till planted or disced and planted. Last year for the first time i planted winter rye in most of our plots. Winter rye inhiblits weed growth.

The deer hit those winter rye plots hard.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Spike

If you really want to use roundup, you can assure the land owner that unless a horse was to get out and go to a chemical warehouse and drink a barrel of roundup it will be ok. But if he is totally against using any chemicals, I would bush hog the plots and disc them several times until you get fluffy dirt. Keep disced every 2 or so weeks to keep weeds at a minimum.
Vinegar won't really kill the grass/weeds, it will likely dry them up some but the first rain they will come back. If you can a tarp ( like mentioned prior) would keep things at bay.