Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

fall planting/spraying

Old 06-25-2014, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default fall planting/spraying

I am planning on planting oats in what was a soybean plot last year. right now the weeds are pretty well covering it. should i spray now and disc after it kills existing vegetation? how close to planting time should i do this process?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:40 AM
Spike

What I do is spray round up and kill everything. Once everything is dead, then I disc. Then I wait until the weeds come up again and give them another shot of round up. After they die I do my planting. Im not saying this is the best method, but after many years of experimenting this works best for me.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

from what you are saying it sounds like i should be getting started fairly soon?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Spike

Yes, I would spray now. I also sent you a PM with a little more info.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Spike

When do you want to plant the plot? RoundUp has little soil residual action, so pretty much after you spray it its safe to plant after a few days. Spray, allow a week or more to go by to really let the stuff die. Then hit it with a disc. May require a follow up application.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I sprayed on July 4 this year with generic glyphosate using 2 oz per gallon of water and we checked it on Sunday. Everything is brown, dead. It will be just right to disc and plant in late Sept. To me it is a plus to get it sprayed before the seeds mature, breaking the cycle. I had real bad crab grass and it took 3 years to get it under control.