Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Glyphosphate application rate

Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Glyphosphate application rate

I purchased a gallon of 41% glyphosphate concentrate. I have a 30 gallon sprayer with #3 tip.

What is a good standard mix in oz of glyphosphate per gallon and also what is a standard application rate in gallons per acre.

I will be spraying cool season grasses 4-6 inches in height in preparation for a fall food plot.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

I use 1 - 2 ounces per gallon, but I don't do large areas, just spot shooting.

Read the label.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

2-2.5 oz per gallon, wet the grass
RR
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a 1% to 2% by volume mix and apply about 12 gallon per acre. If you can, mow the plot first and come back in about a week to spray the herbicide. Glysophate works better on actively growing weeds/grass. If the water you are using is "hard" , I strongly suggest adding ammonium sulfate to the mix. This prevents the "hard" water from redusing the effectiveness of the Glysophate. You must add the ammonium sulfate to the water before adding the Glysophate.

If you plot has woody plants such as saplings, briars , vines , etc. , you might want to look into adding a brush killer type herbicide ... as per the label instructions. I use 2-4-D.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Spike

Using a " generic " brand of Glysophate I would use ammonium sulfate regardless. When we do applications of the generic roundup we always add about 1 gallon to 400 gallons of a ammonium sulfate liquid. In a smaller amount I would still use about that same figure, a 1/4% ( which is 1 gallon per 400 gallons water) so a quart would be the correct figure for 100gallons, a pint per 50gallons of water and about 10oz per 30 gallons of water. You can figure about .32 ounces per gallon of water. AND like stated before add the sulfate before the glysophate. I would also reccomend using dawn dish soap as a surfactant if using generic roundup. In a 30 gallon tank I would use about 4-6 oz per 30 gallon tank. If you use more, its not going to hurt.
If you have woody brush or vines, like previously stated add 2,4-D with the mix. About 3/4 of a ounce to a ounce per gallon of water should do very well. So if you have a 30 gallon tank 22.5 to 32 ounces. About the same on the roundup.

I would recommend using actual Roundup ( Original Max or Power Max). Its a little more expensive, but as a aerial applicator and on our family farm we have used both the generic and the " real " Roundup. Generic is cheaper, but it takes longer to work and does not seem to " hold " as long as the real stuff.

Any questions about chemicals you can PM me and I can help you out!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Spike

41% Roundup is recommended on the label in 25 gallon tank at at least a pint per 25 gallons. Heavy areas will require more, with out seeing the area I would use at least 40oz per 30 gallon tank.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

My favorite spray all mix is (per gallon of water) 2 oz of gly, 1 oz of imazypyr and 2 oz of surfactant, but you have to be careful with it.