Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Guerrilla clover plot

Old 03-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Guerrilla clover plot

I'm looking at planting some clover when it's time to plant everything.
The land I hunt and want to plant on is rocky, but I have some nice open spots that get light.
Has anyone ever planted a network of small food plots?
Will clover grow good in rocky terrain? I mean there's dirt and I can get the seed maybe a couple inches down.
At most plots would be 20 foot squared
Would the deer just devour such small plots rendering them useless by the time season rolls in early sept?

Last edited by westMDbowhunter; 03-23-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had rather plant clover in the fall (in the south), but you don't need to cover the seed very deep, maybe a quarter of an inch.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I had rather plant clover in the fall (in the south), but you don't need to cover the seed very deep, maybe a quarter of an inch.
Ok yeah I understand why you would want to plant closer to fall. I might do early august here our temps drop below freezing starting in mid September. Our bow season is sept 7 that would be a month and seven days of grow time.
Good to know the depth thing, but should I still use a hoe to bust up the ground deeper than that for the roots? I guess I'll just bust up whatever soil there is. I better start now though because I don't have any equipment just hand tools. I wanted to have like ten small patches like this so I could play the wind any given day.